Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #1 
craftyjag

Is this aquascape appropriate?

Hi everyone, I'm setting up a tank for my very first betta and I want to make sure he'll be comfortable in his new home. I plan to try to find a halfmoon that strikes my fancy on Aquabid (I'd like a color a little different than the typical pet store fare and I've been obsessed with window shopping the gorgeous fish there and on ebay). Because I know I'll be spending more than if I stopped at the local Petco, I'm also obsessing a bit about doing this as well as possible.

The tank I'm using is a 5g bow front (thus the reflections in the photo--I don't actually have two heaters in there!), with a few live plants and a piece of drift wood that is big enough to lean against the back of the tank and create a cave-like space under it for hiding out. I plan to baffle the filter but haven't bothered yet because the tank will probably take a couple more weeks to cycle (I tried to jump start it with some gravel from my established tank and a few swishes and squeezes of the filter, but we'll see). I've got the heater set at 82 to help the cycling process but that will be an appropriate temp for the betta as well, correct? My water is soft, pH 7.4, and I've got a master test kit to make sure the water quality stays where it's supposed to be.

Is the aquascape I've set up appropriate for a betta? I know the bettas require open space at the surface to breath, so I'm wondering if floating plants are at all appropriate? I've got watersprite in my other tank, so I could easily move a small one into the tank and keep it small so as not to cover all the space, but would it be better without?

Thanks for any opinions, I adore my other tank (bloodfin tetras and zebra danios) and my obsession seems to be expanding because I've decided I NEED one of these beautiful fish to keep me company in the kitchen

craftyjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

thats a betta heaven!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #3 
914joe

Looks perfect to me,i think he will be real happy in there.
914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #4 
NyaNyanNaa

Floating plants are fine, as long as it doesn't cover the whole top of the tank. They like to make bubble nests under them and feel more secure, also help with ammonia. (:
NyaNyanNaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #5 
craftyjag

Thanks everyone! The worst part is the waiting for the tank to cycle, I hate window shopping, I want one NOW, lol. Meanwhile I'm reading everything I can (and thinking of places to put more tanks).
craftyjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #6 
jag14

There's always a place for one more tank! Mine range from 3 gallons to 75. My 3 is looking more to me like it should be a 5 and my 75 looks to me like it could turn into a 125 or 150. You know you can't leave the old tanks empty, so they multiply like crazy given a chance. Beautiful setup BTW, good luck with the new betta, I'm sure he'll be happy in there.
jag14 is offline   Reply With Quote