Betta Fish Forum banner

How can I tell how old my Betta's are?

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
So the title pretty much explains it all, how can I tell how old my two boys are?
One's obviously got to be about a year old because I've had him for about 10 months, the one I got last week, I wouldnt have a clue.

This is Flake, the one I've had for almost a year. He's almost 2 & half inches long head to tail [its hard to measure them I've just discovered].

& this is Ollie, the one I've had for about a week. He's only about 2 inches long, but has a small body compared to Flake.

See less See more
#3 ·
I find it hard to tell. The body is usually a give away... I have seen a juvi male who looks female (other than the belly) but he was just a youngin'. I start from when I get them... usual store bettas are 10-13 months old. I start them at a year. I did have an ancient one from a store, but he also was with goldfish... never came with the bettas!! :lol: Baby bettas are generally 3-5 months (and usually stunted).

#5 ·
your Ollie looks alot like my Sushi, except mine has a little more irridesence and he has a red wash in his anal fins and long red ventrals. I was wondering how old mine was too, guess I will never know. I was estimating between 9-12mo when I bought him and I have had him 3 mo so I guess I will just say hes a year old and hope that I have several more years to enjoy him

#6 ·
That is right :) only a few bettas have I found to be young (6 months approximately) in a store asides from the babies. But even at a year old bettas can live 2-5 years with you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.