Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #1 
KinkyKalypso

Not sure whats wrong with Acheron!!!

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon total. Divided into 2 sections so I guess tech. its 5 per fish
What temperature is your tank? with heater in the tank its stays around 75
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes air tube
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none really Divided with another betta on the other sider

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta bio-gold pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day 2-3 pells in the morn and night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week maybe twice

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? with the old tank 100% a week (3 gal) With this one Ive been tring to do atleast a 75% swap out since i do not have a syphon hose yet

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner and normally epsom salt but was out when setting up new tank

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I only test the ph, not sure where to by testing supplies for the others.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:7.2 tested just now
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? no
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? yes
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 4 nights ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? medical tank with epsom salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? constipation
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him in july 2012, from walmart so who knows
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So im not sure whats up with Acheron, Anyways Acheron had been constipated on Saturday night so I salt bathed him and kept him in a medical tank over night. Sunday morning he seemed to be doing better so back in the big tank he went. Sunday night seemed ok and Monday morning when I went to work Last night when i got home he was side ways again. So into the Medical tank he went for another dose of Salt. Then once again back into the big tank.. and back on his side. Ive seen him stressed out before, but this seems different. Im so confused, Rave is in the same tank, same water, same everything and is doing just fine. Its a 10 gallon tank with a divider. Raves side has the filter and on Acherons side I have a bubble stick to have the water constantly moving... No unusual spots on him, no stringy like substance on his fins nothing.. So i really dont know what else I can do.. OH AND... when he swims he seems fine also... But all of this starts when he tries to just float around! Going to try the leaf and salt water combo but I hate the thought of him having to go through this for 14 days.. Can I add a fake plant for him to hide or lay on in to the bowl? And also when I do the water change Do I allow some of the leaves to go into the bowl or do I filter them out..
OR IF THIS SOUNDS LIKE ANOTHER PROBLEMS can I get some suggestions.. Also here a pic of how he looks now.
ALSO, he will gulp at bubbles like they are food while he is floating at the top. Does this mean he is not getting enough air?
Attached Images

Last edited by KinkyKalypso; 10-09-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Had to edit forgot to add a few things!
KinkyKalypso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #2 
KinkyKalypso

Oak leaf spa?

About to start the treatment with the oak leaves. have the water in the tank now waiting for it to get to the same temp, And the oak/salt water prepped and waiting for it.. So From another post i see its a 25% change out every 15 mins during the first hour to make a full 100% water swap. And then for the next 13 days a 50% change. Do I keep the same water oak leaf mixture during this time? or at some point during the 2 weeks do I make a new batch.. AND ALSO Ive noticed Archer is pinning him self in tight spots.. Could that mean anything? Please help. Im getting really flustered not knowing what to do. I hate not having control!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #3 
KinkyKalypso

Ok so he's in the Oak leaf bath... Not sure he's liking it much considering he's back on his side again... URGH!!!!!!! I dont know what else to do.. He's not constipated, no evidence of external parasites nor internal parasites... SOOOO what the heck could it be. he's been perfectly fine and I just dont know what else I can possibly do.. This week has been just horrible, (I had a cousin pass away in a car crash were the vehicle caught fire. He was only 29 two years older then me..) and now this.. Im heart broken! URGH
Old 10-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #4 
KinkyKalypso

Ok so Acher is in his medical (cup) with the oak leaves/salt mixture hes swimming around a bit and is up right most of the time, but still falls over on his side... But we'll see
Old 10-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #5 
vilmarisv

He might have SBD because he's not clamped... he does look little big around the head.
Don't feed him for a couple of days. If you did 100% water change there's not much you can do besides wait.
Don't fuss to much over him, make him comfortable and keep his water clean.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #6 
KinkyKalypso

Acher is doing much better. Instead of being completely layed over on his side, now he's just a little topsy turvey. I'll post a pic on the face book page.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

what are you feeding him?
mayb switch him to NLS...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote