After worrying about getting a used tank I found the suggestion to clean it with a 1/20 bleach solution, rinse it (a lot), and let it dry in the sun. So here's what I did:
- Unable to find straight bleach in the cleaning section I bought a pre-diluted bottle and put a "squirt" probably about a tablespoon's worth into my 5 gallon (with gravel, heater, and decorations still inside) and let it set for an hour or so.
- I then rinsed it and filled it with clean water and let it sit overnight.
- The next morning I took out the decorations and heater and put them in clean water, throughout the day I rinsed them and changed the water about 7 times, as well as doing the same to the gravel and tank.
- Last night I let it sit with clean water and rinsed it yet again today, took out the gravel and rinsed it separately.
- The tank is once again sitting with clean water. I once again find the day cloud covered so I can't let it dry in the sun.
My main question is how important is the sun drying part? I've rinsed it quite a bit and and I didn't use a lot of bleach to begin with. I would never want to hurt my fish so should I just wait for a sunny day or can I get away with a bunch of rinsing?