Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Very clamped fish

Just checked on Squirt, and he was extremely clamped up. He also pooped, and it was huge and brown and weird looking (looked a LOT bigger than it should be), and once he was done, he pooped again!

Bubs has been being weird for a few days now- darting around and long periods of lethargic + clamping. I'm thinking ich, but I can't tell because of his color.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon (or 5.5)
What temperature is your tank? 74 right now
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? not yet, will be once I situate the room.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? I have two bettas and one oto who is temporarily there.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omege Pellets Or tetra mini pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, 3 pellets a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I do about 80% of the water
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water Condtiiooner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Description above
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Description above
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Only a few days ago. Squirt was massively bloated, but it's passing luckily.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet, will start once I get a good idea of what to do.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Squirt had VERY early fin rot, but it was caught ASAP
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not sure about Squirt, but Bubs is a few months

Please, don't harass me about the oto in the tank. She is not bothered by Squirt, and the ammonia level has been stable since she has been in there.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #2 
deso

If there's no salt-like speckles on Bubs, then it's probably not ich. Even on highly metallic fish, it's quite easy to spot (not sure what colour Bubs is though, just making assumptions). What makes you think that it's ich? With the temperature on the low side like that, though, it very well could be the beginnings of it. The temp could also explain the clamping and lethargy. Many bettas prefer to be kept at around 80 degrees F, maybe he's one of them.

As for Squirt, perhaps he's just constipated. Or worst case scenario, he picked up an internal parasite. The best thing you can do for the time being is to get that ammonia down to 0. Wish I could be more helpful, let's wait for someone else to chime in :(
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #3 
teeneythebetta

More than likely its the 74* temp that is bothering him.
I'd bump it up to at least 78*

Do you ever do a 100% water change?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #4 
registereduser

Ammonia really should be zero. Do you have a small QT tank you can put him in with a little epsom salt? Make sure it's heated and try him in there for a few days. That's what I would do anyway.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #5 
sainthogan

ich would definitely show up on any fish because it's white spots. Velvet on the other hand might not if your fish is dark. You can get a flashlight and shine it at your fish, if there is a gold or rust colored looking dust, that's velvet.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #6 
Alcemistnv

I meant to say velvet, not ich. He has weird coloring on his face that's a combo of blue, white, and peach. And when you shine the light on him, its all shiny and metallic looking, hence why I can't tell.

And as for the water.changes, and ammonia level, I do 100% changes but not often because I've heard about it destroying the cycle. And the ammonia level at my school is.about 0-.25 so its kinda normal for the tanks :/
Old 10-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
I meant to say velvet, not ich. He has weird coloring on his face that's a combo of blue, white, and peach. And when you shine the light on him, its all shiny and metallic looking, hence why I can't tell.

And as for the water.changes, and ammonia level, I do 100% changes but not often because I've heard about it destroying the cycle. And the ammonia level at my school is.about 0-.25 so its kinda normal for the tanks :/

Wait, is this tank cycled or cycling?
Because a cycled tank will have ZERO ammonia.
I had ammonia in my tap water and the bacteria in my cycled tank processed it down to zero after less than 48 hours.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #8 
Alcemistnv

It should be cycled because it was before I came here.

Either I'm doing something wrong, the tank isn't cycled (It's been a few months), OR it's the tap water somehow...
Old 10-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #9 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
It should be cycled because it was before I came here.

Either I'm doing something wrong, the tank isn't cycled (It's been a few months), OR it's the tap water somehow...
Its probably the 80% water changes.
A cycled tank doesnt require anything over 50%.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #10 
Alcemistnv

ahhh okay.

I'll cut down the percentage then.