Housing

What size is your tank? 5.5G
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Aqueon Betta Food Pellets and 2 tiny pieces of Omega One Freeze Dried Bloodworms once a week.

How often do you feed your betta fish?
3 pellets 2x daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
2x weekly

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
100% and 50%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Prime and Top Fin Bacterial Supplement.
I was also adding a no-brand "Stress Coat" from WalMart. He recently recovered from Fin Rot and I read that this helps support their slime coat but I stopped because, I started using this and now he's sick.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4/7.6 using pH and High pH API Master Kit
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
He has two bumps behind his pectoral fins under the scales which are not raised. They are not aligned when looking from the top and the one on his right side is slightly larger than the left and more forward.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
He floats like he has swim bladder only when he is resting and changes his resting spots often on the bottom of the tank, on plants, on decor, sometimes wedges himself in the leaves. They are silk plants by the way. When he swims for air or around the tank he swims normal, not sideways or anything but he seems to be swimming harder. He doesn't flow like he used to but his fins do this jiggle thing. He was pooping a normal color just not often but the last time he pooped about 24 hours ago it looked like a white cloud but not stringy to my eyes. I haven't seen him itch on things but he does scoot on his belly sometimes. I'm not sure if he was shedding his slime coat or if it was the gunk coming off the filter baffle because it looked the same. However, he is still very active (when he knows I'm watching him), he can reach the top for air as well as before I reduced the water level, and follows my finger. He eats normal but I only give him 2 pellets every other day now.

*EDIT*
When he goes to the bottom he doesn't nose dive but he swims to the bottom and lays flat or against things and sometimes points directly up.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
About 2 weeks ago.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Removed gravel and his cave, 50% water changes every other day, fasted, tried a pea, epsom salt baths but nothing at the moment except for a reduced water level.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Fin Rot few weeks prior to this occurrence which was cured and has new fins, granted they're not the same as they were.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
Purchased from LPS in May this year.

Last edited by oryin; 10-09-2012 at 03:14 AM.
oryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #2 
Aus

It sounds like you take really good general care of your fish.

He obviously has some kind of illness, probably an internal infection by the sound of it (sbd, peculiar poo). I'd probably try a mix of Maracyn 1 & 2 for this guy. Maracyn 1 is for gram pos and Maracyn 2 is for gram neg bacteria, but both are best used for mild infections or so I have frequently read. Still, I'd give those a shot combined and see how he goes.

If he doesn't respond well to that, I'd rest him a few days in clean water and then try a stronger broad spectrum antibiotic.

Keep observing him through all of this, and for a couple weeks after - it could be he's run down from parasites or just general poor conditions before you got him, and there's lots of stuff you can do to build him back up again once the immediate infection is taken care of.

Get some Indian almond leaves if you can, as those are soothing and have natural antimicrobial qualities. I use it in all my tanks, to one degree or another, especially for sick fish (I double it for sick fish) -- I have not had an infection in any of my established tanks since I started doing this.

Last edited by Aus; 10-09-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #3 
oryin

Thank you Aus! I literally just walked in the door with both in my hand. The instructions say 1 packet per 10 gallons, my aquarium is a 5.5 with with the water level slightly above half, so I'd say he's in 3 gallons. Should I measure out each packet accordingly, raise the water level and put half of what the directions state or is the full dose required? I do have a 10 gallon but it's 75% through the fishless cycle. >.<

Also, just out of curiosity, it says I can leave my carbon filter in but would the medications have more effect if I took it out?

*EDIT*
LPS didn't carry Indian almond leaves and I am doing research now. Might I ask how you are using them? So far I've read that they will have a decreased effectiveness if used with a carbon filter. Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited by oryin; 10-09-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #4 
oryin

I got some tan poo over here! :0D He's still laying on the bottom though.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #5 
oryin

Day 3 of treatment and still no improvement but he's still eating, swimming to the top, very responsive and has tan poo. I feel so bad for him! He lays around all the time now and fights the aimless floating especially when he's about to do a somersault. :0/ Is there anything else I can try for him?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #6 
oryin

I'm confused because he still has normal behavior its just the floating and swelling issue.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #7 
oryin

Bump!

There are so many people on this forum and only one can offer any advice or help? I'm so confused! I don't want to try a stronger antibiotic yet because I don't even know what the true problem is. Yes, swim bladder but he's mostly normal other than that.

I took a video to better show the swelling is but because it's on my phone it's the wrong type of file and I can't download a converter program. My dino computer would probably explode lol.

This one it's hard to see because he's also propping himself against decor.

Tan poo with white stuff today. :0/

Old 10-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #8 
Canuck Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryin View Post
There are so many people on this forum and only one can offer any advice or help?
I understand your frustration, but sometimes we don't have experience with the challenge at hand or the advice you've already been given is spot on. I can't offer anything new (except to add frozen bloodworms are better nutritionally than freeze dried.) Good luck!
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:38 AM   #9 
oryin

Thank you Canuck. Sorry if that sentence came out sounding hostile, I just want to help my poor little guy before it's too late.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #10 
Hassled

PlEase keep us updated so we can possibly help if we hear anything familiar.
Hassled is offline   Reply With Quote