Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

bowls..

Please no negative comments. I know there are some on here who have great luck with bowls. As of today I'm switching all of my boys to LARGE bowls as my filtered tanks are a real pain and I'm battling severe fin rots et...I'm just done with the filtered tanks.
My q's
How often & what % will I need to change the water...I have no problem doing the necessary water changes.
I will not be using a substrate
They will be heated as they already are
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #2 
Laki

How big are the bowls? That will determine how often you clean it. I would say twice a week.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #3 
DragonFish

+1, it completely depends on the size. Like.....for 1 gallons, at least 2 50%s and 1 100%. For something 2-2.5 gallons you could get away with 1 50% and 1 100%. Thats whats usual recommended...though based on my own personal experience I would do an extra 50-90% per week with both sizes. I find my boys are a little more active and content in the slightly cleaner water.

There is nothing wrong with a bowl provided its large enough, heated(like you stated it is)and the proper water changes are made. I keep a heated 2-2.5 gallon drum bowl on my desk. Its quite cool and different then your average 2.5 glass tank. xD
Just out of pure curiosity.....any particular reason you're going with bowls specifically over other small, unfiltered tank options?

Last edited by DragonFish; 10-09-2012 at 10:44 AM.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #4 
sareena79

I have my boy in a 2 gal unfiltered "tank" that I do a weekly 100% change on--- one of the mods on here (OFL) said that since he has a live, actively growing plant (pothos--roots only, leaves above water) it will filter out most of the bad stuff and use it for food which is why I can get away with the one 100% change or even just 2 50% changes a week. so perhaps u should look into adding live plants to your bowl. post pix tho, I love tank pix, gives me ideas!
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #5 
Freyja
Banned

I have a VT female and DT HM male both in one gallon containers: one bowl and one KK. I do 100% water changes every other day.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #6 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
I have a VT female and DT HM male both in one gallon containers: one bowl and one KK. I do 100% water changes every other day.
Had mine in a 2,5 gallon bowl, he seemed fine with 50% once a week and 100% later :D just make sure the opening is good enough for oyxgen to get in the water, and give it lots of love! :D
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #7 
OrangeAugust

I'm just curious why a filtered tank would cause fin rot? I would think it would be more common in an un-cycled tank/bowl where ammonia and things will build up. I'm not judging; just asking. I love my filtered 5 gal. I only have to change 25% of the water once a week. Very convenient.

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 10-09-2012 at 11:56 AM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #8 
lelei

Yes, you do not necessarily have to change tanks just filters, maybe the filter is too strong, and your betta is tail biting, or getting caught in the filter, I would try to keep the tank, itself, and lose the filter, or baffle it, I hate filters myself, and I opt for a bubble stone, and do the required water changes, which since where my tank is uncycled I do my 35-50% 1x a week and my full water change as well, and I am actually thinking, as my HM was tail biting, after his filter broke, (blessing in disguise) I am going to see if he leaves his tail alone..and it may grow back, and stay that way:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
I'm just curious why a filtered tank would cause fin rot? I would think it would be more common in an un-cycled tank/bowl where ammonia and things will build up. I'm not judging just asking. I love my filtered 5 gal. I only have to change 25% of the water once a week. Very convenient.
Because sometimes the filter flow is so strong it tears the betta's fins and then they become infected.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #10 
Friendlyfishies

Thanks for replies everyone!

For those curious as to why I am switching over to bowls - MyRainbowBettaFish said it best lol. After watching my fins tear up like crazy and now set into fin rot thanks to the filter I want to go incredibly simple! No more filters, 100% changes, no decor, just a heater and IAL's. I spent about $200 and hours of time on their evolve 4 tanks adding their live plants, hidy houses, sand, baffling the filters and performing every other day 50% water changes. After all of that here I am having to nurse 2 boys back to health who's fins are in terrible shape...one in which im really worried about having developed fungus grr. I kept their water clean and water changes up but I really think the filter kept beating them up even baffled and on the lowest settings. Its a shame.

Today I got 4 what seem to be 2 gallon bowls. I have them heated with IAL's and thats all...no decor. I think after a couple of weeks, if they seem to be okay and heal up I will invest in two $15 2.5 gallon tanks with covers. I will still be keeping it very simple, no decor IAL leaves and heaters, 100% water changes et.
As beautiful as the other tanks were its not worth my bettas lives.

Im really hope going back to basics will help. Wish me luck :) and thank you!
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote