Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

filters with no movement?

Are there any types of filter with no movement? I really would like to filter my boys but any movement and we have instant tail issues.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #2 
Karebear13

Mainly sponge filters are really great for that sort of thing!
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #3 
Friendlyfishies

Can you buy them or do you make them?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #4 
sareena79

I commented on your previous post b/c I too have a small unfiltered tank (just 2gal) and "Old Fish Lady" (OFL) who is a moderator on here said that as long as there is active growth on your live pants (roots and leaves) it will work double duty (well actually triple) as both a filter and hiding space for your betta as well as oxygenating the water. I personally use a Pothos plant with only the roots in the water but Im sure others on here will have suggestions for other palnts that would do the trick. I only have to do a single 100% water change a week to keep my LONG finned CT boy in good shape but OFL said if I prefered I could skip the 100% and do 2 50% each week, but that either was fine. I can have my whole tank broken down (light, heater, plant, thermometer and decor) rinsed, refilled and treated within 15min. Its pretty darn simple. My boy loves to hide in the roots of his plant....just a suggestion though, I wish u luck!
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #5 
Karebear13

I bought one at a LFS but you can make it or buy one online. Sareena is right though plants do serve as a nice filter. I also have Pothos in my tank and have noticed a decrease in ammonia levels. You can also use Peace lilies or spider plant just put the roots in the water not the whole plant
Old 10-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #6 
Friendlyfishies

hmm, I googled some for sale but it doesnt show the entire set up...does anyone have pics? Would this fit in a 2.5 gal or do it attach to a reg filter?
Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #7 
Karebear13

Mine is very similar to this one :http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Bioch...supplies_img_y except it only has one sponge. The sponge is pretty big so I suggest a smaller one. Basically the sponge is connected to a airline tubing and the airline tubing to a pump. It is a pretty easy set up but You do need to buy three different pieces. And also mine is pretty strong still and does provide a small current at the top so I suggest getting a air pump that has a controller that you can control the power