Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #1 
Hahenry22

Betta goiter??

Yesterday at Petco I noticed a number of the bettas that they had for sale had bulges in their neck area. It was in the exact spot that a human would have a thyroid goiter. Some were fairly big and some were just barely noticeable. I did not buy any of these fish but it got me wondering. I've tried to do a little research on their anatomy since I am fairly new to betta keeping, however, I have found varying anatomy charts that haven't been able to answer my question. Does anyone know what I am talking about? I am just curious for future reference in case any of my boys suddenly get these bulges. Thanks!
Hahenry22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #2 
LittleFish2012

My first thought when you say "bulge" is "tumor". Sadly, betta fish are prone to tumors. But if a lot of them looked like that, then that might not be it. I have never seen bettas all sick with the same problem at once.
I'm not even going to suspect dropsy. (that is, they would look severely bloated and suffering organ failure). That kind of thing really takes time to happen and it wouldn't happen to a ton of fish.
So my last theory would be it could be as simple as overfeeding. Assuming the bulge is on their underside, that's where their tummy is. Unfortunately pet stores aren't known for their healthy bettas.
I really think it has to do with being overfed or even constipated.
It'd be easier to say with a photo.
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #3 
Hahenry22

Thank you for the response! I hope it's just over feeding. They otherwise seemed ok.
Hahenry22 is offline   Reply With Quote