Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #21 
ANHEL123

hey i agreed with Karebear and MyRainbow on water changes. But i would think even if you used double of the dose of the water conditioner it still might be not the reason he is sick.
Gasping for air also can be due to gill flukes. I would for now go buy aquarium salt and do daily water changes. When you do daily water changes make sure you acclimate your betta to new temperature/chemistry.
Also if you can buy stress coat it will help.Keep him in dark since external parasites photosynthetic and will spread.
Does he has any other symptoms on his body? Is he bloated or does he has any raised scales any where on his body?

Pre mix 2tsp/gall of the aq salt and do daily water changes. Do not put salt directly in his tank you need pre mix it and make sure it disolved. Stress coat would help.
Can you gradually raise the temperature? If you can it will help to spead up parasites life cycle and help them to fall faster.

I also ask someone else look at your post to confirm what i think. I was not sure if it may be ammonia poisoning or gill flukes.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 10-10-2012 at 03:06 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #22 
Alexandria

Thank you Anhel but he died before I made it home from Big Al's with a heater, AQ salt, a moss ball and new stuff for the water. I will now be focusing on getting my tank back to normal so it will be ready for a new betta.

Karebear I will go check that out and get back to you in a bit.
Alexandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #23 
ANHEL123

so sorry Alexandria :( You did your best trying to help him.
Just because i think we not sure if it water poisoning or may be gill flukes , make sure you disinfect the tank. You can use 50/50 vinegar and hot water let it sit for about 40 min and wash it thoroughly, and let it sit in the sun for a few days.

And i would put moss ball in the water with NO water conditioner to quarantine.
Not sure how to disinfect the gravel though. If it indeed external parasites then it easy you can just wash with hot water and let it sit in the sun. Parasites will die without host. I personally never disinfect the stones but i read that people do vinegar also for the stones. Just wash it million times especially if it has ridges.

Also make sure you check the heater before you put betta in. Plug it in. I read some heaters leak in the water. Or i had that it malfunction. So while you don't have betta you can check it.

How long you had that betta just curious?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #24 
Alexandria

Thank you. I had him 4-5 months and he was extremely active and playful until a week ago or so. It was ammonia, I took some water to the pet shop and even after 1-2 100% changes it was high ammonia
Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #25 
ANHEL123

so your tap water has ammonia?

May this was the reason he got sick. I am leaving my job now but i am going to try to find that post tomorrow and i will let you know.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #26 
Sakura8

Hi Alexandria and welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry for your loss. Anhel asked me to give a few tips on lowering ammonia that is already in tap water so here I am.

For tap water that has ammonia, there are a few things you can do to help lower it. One is to use Seachem Prime as your water conditioner, since it detoxifies ammonia by turning it into the less toxic ammonium. Another thing you can do is, if you have a filter, use ammonia chips (also known as zeolite). The zeolite neutralizes ammonia. It depends on your filter if you'll have to use a filter bag in addition to a regular filter cartridge. And finally, floating plants like duckweed, salvinia, and frogbit will help to lower ammonia as well.

If you find you can't get the ammonia level down past .25ppm no matter what you do, you may need to use a half and half mixture of spring water and tap water. You can also use all spring water but some bottled waters have been filtered and refined so that many minerals that fish need have been taken out. If you use all spring water, I'd recommend you get a mineral supplement like Kent's R/O Right to add to it. Don't use distilled water, that definitely has no minerals.

It's possible your guy may have had flukes as well but we probably won't ever know without a skin scraping and a microscope. Ammonia poisoning symptoms can mimic gill fluke symptoms so it's hard to tell. Either way, the advice Anhel gave about cleaning the tank should take care of any parasites that may have been in the tank.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #27 
Alexandria

Thank you for the advice and help :) I had been not doing enough water changes and have a 2.5 gallon tank. Today I bought a moss ball to help with ammonia, seachem betta basics water conditioner, a bettaherm heater for tanks 1-3 gallons in size, and AQ salts. Yesterday I bought a strip and air pump so I have bubbles and some air flow in the tank, some type of plant weighted down under the gravel and a PH kit just incase. The water I took to the pet shop was from the tank not the tap so I don't know if it is from my water or if It is because of the tank. I will distinct the tank later tonight or tomorrow then work at getting it ready for a new betta.

Karebear, I answered your question about the conditioner and heater In this post :)
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #28 
Karebear13

Noticed that! All sounds good. Since you have a pH kit you can check if you tap water has ammonia in it.
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #29 
Alexandria

I thought I need to get an ammonia kit to test for that. The PH kit told me that the water turned blue but is darker than the 7.6 blue so I am assuming my PH level is around 8
Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #30 
ANHEL123

Air pump really not necessary for bettas though. And i think some betta don't like too much water movement.
I don't know a lot about ph , all i know that when you have high ph like you have, you really need time to acclimate your betta for some period of time.
About ammonia in the water,I assume that you have it in your water because you wrote that you checked the water from the tank after you did 100% water changes.
Sakura i read in one of your thread that you have high ph. Do you have any advice on that ? I also want to know so i can give advice to other people who has this problem?

Tags
emergency, newbie, water conditioner