Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #1 
Leopardfire

What kind of sand should I use?

I'm starting a 20 gallon long aquarium that will have 4 cory catfish and 1 male betta. I got regular black aquarium sand from petco, but it brought my ph up to 9! I'm not sure why this happened since it wasn't coral sand or anything special. I lost 2 of my cories already due to the ph and the other 2 are on the brink of death. Luckily my betta is in a separate tank due to his fin rot so he wasn't harmed by the ph.
Anyway I think I'm going to have to get rid of my sand if I want my aquarium be okay for fish. I spent $40 on that sand so I really don't want to have to buy another super expensive sand like tahitian moon. I will get expensive sand if necessary, but I would like to avoid it if possible.
What kind of sand should I get? I was thinking play sand, but I'm worried it might cause ph problems by leaking things like calcium. My tap water has a ph of 7.5 and a hardness of 180ppm so would play sand affect that? I also really want my sand to be black to go with the design of my tank and make my albino cories stand out. Is there any possible black/dark colored play sand I could get? If there's not, what is the cheapest sand I could get that wouldn't affect my ph? I don't want to have any more problems with the sand so I want to get the best thing for my tank.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #2 
lvandert

colored play sand tends to leach colors, from what I've heard. I could be wrong. I do have regular play sand in my 55 and I like it. It's really cheap too, a 50lbs bag cost me about 5 bucks. Have you contemplated getting driftwood and IAL? They lower the pH values naturally, besides the fact that some drift wood looks really cool.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #3 
Leopardfire

I could try driftwood, but I'm not sure it's enough to counter a ph problem as serious as mine. I will consider play sand though since it's really cheap. I guess I shouldn't get black play sand if it will leach colors. Do you know of any good pet store brands that for sure won't mess with the ph? I want to know just incase I do decide to get black sand.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #4 
RichardA

I use either 100% play sand or pool filter sand, I prefer the pool filter sand.
RichardA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #5 
Leopardfire

What color is pool filter sand and does it come in different colors? Also, if it has various colors, does it leach colors a lot.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #6 
RichardA

No colors other then natural. I is a mixture of colors as it is natural large diameter sand.
RichardA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, corydora, high ph, play sand, sand