Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #1 
survivor

Exclamation Pretty Sure It's a Fungal Infection

My room mate and I have a lot of bettas (12, to be exact). They all live in separate tanks, 1+ gallons etc etc etc. Whatever. We've got basic betta fish care down. Those fish live like little aggressive kings (and 2 queens).

My problem is, while we were at Walmart buying replacement filter cartridges for our big tank, we saw what we thought was one male betta living in a cup with 2 dead crown tails. He had clearly been eating the other two. When we went to check out I asked if we could have him for free. They said yes.

We get, home, set up Hannibal in a nice new home, and go to flush the other two.

One of them is not quite as dead as we thought. He's named Beyonce (because he's a survivor), but he pretty clearly is sick.

I think it's a fungal infection (white fluffy stuff on his face, looks like a film over his scales; he kind of looks like he's peelings a little). His tail is an absolute mess from where Hannibal had been noming on him. He has a HUGE appetite and will eat until he looks like he's about to pop. He's living in a 1/2 gallon mug right now (not permanent, but we didn't want to buy a bunch of stuff for him, and then have him die.)

Time for the question:
What do I do to help him out? We've never had a really SICK betta fish before. I've been changing 100% of his water once a day. He's looking a little better, but somehow I doubt he's going to heal up well on his own.

Do I go with meds (and which ones)? Or do I try doing the salt whatever?

This is Beyonce. All of these pictures suck.

And for funnsies, here's Hannibal

Last edited by survivor; 10-10-2012 at 11:30 AM.
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #2 
lvandert

I would get them on some on a "general cure" medicine. The wally world by me actually carries quick cure http://www.petguys.com/-042781008000...mpaign=PetGuys I would give this to both of those guys and see what it does in a week. You might want to pick up some aq salt and stress coat (if you don't already have some) and get those guys in some of that as well.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #3 
survivor

Thanks! I was wondering if they should both get treatment because they were living in close quarters.

Should I continue the water changes?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #4 
lvandert

I would, those water changes are probably the only thing helping Beyonce hold on. Also when you say Hannibal "He has a HUGE appetite and will eat until he looks like he's about to pop. " how much do you feed him?
Old 10-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #5 
survivor

I actually feed my fish a few pellets a day except tuesdays. It's Beyonce who would eat a cow. My roomie had too much fun with the blood worms last night :/
Her heart was in the right place. She's not allowed near the food any more.
Beyonce ate all of it in about a minute, though. Sooooo fast. Weirdest sick fish behavior i've seen.

Should i can change hannibal's water too?
Old 10-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #6 
lvandert

ok, thats alright then. I just wanted to make sure you weren't doing the whole "as much as they can eat in a few minutes" feedings. I would change his water pretty often too, and monitor him for signs of illness. Its like sticking two people in a closet for a few days when one has a cold. The other is probably going to get it but there is a chance his immune system will fight it off.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #7 
survivor

Yeah, I learned the hard way about over feeding when I was about 12. I followed the instructions on the food, and I feed him so much he died. It's not right that companies put clearly wrong instructions on their food.

Thanks for everything, Ivandert. Glad there is hope for my fish, even if he will always being a little ugly bugger.

I'm a little glad I got him, since I found this forum. It makes me feel less like a crazy fish lady.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #8 
lvandert

lol, my friends call me that, but they also come to me for help. let me know if things change!