Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #1 
Fin Fancier

Cleaning my tank

After worrying about getting a used tank I found the suggestion to clean it with a 1/20 bleach solution, rinse it (a lot), and let it dry in the sun. So here's what I did:
- Unable to find straight bleach in the cleaning section I bought a pre-diluted bottle and put a "squirt" probably about a tablespoon's worth into my 5 gallon (with gravel, heater, and decorations still inside) and let it set for an hour or so.
- I then rinsed it and filled it with clean water and let it sit overnight.
- The next morning I took out the decorations and heater and put them in clean water, throughout the day I rinsed them and changed the water about 7 times, as well as doing the same to the gravel and tank.
- Last night I let it sit with clean water and rinsed it yet again today, took out the gravel and rinsed it separately.
- The tank is once again sitting with clean water. I once again find the day cloud covered so I can't let it dry in the sun.

My main question is how important is the sun drying part? I've rinsed it quite a bit and and I didn't use a lot of bleach to begin with. I would never want to hurt my fish so should I just wait for a sunny day or can I get away with a bunch of rinsing?
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #2 
LizzyP

Some people say let it sit in the sun, some say rinse until you've gone mad and double dose on conditioner. I personally like to do both, but I'm a worry wart XD
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #3 
inuudo

I think that the drying out part is important. Sun is a bonus.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #4 
Connierodz

Now that you have donevall that..i would just fill the tnk with water and put all decor nd gravel inside fill with water and add double the conditioner and let it sit for a while then just rinse evrything again and i think it should be ready to go
Connierodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #5 
katydidmischief

I think you can get away with a bunch of rinsing. Honestly the sun part is because the bleach will turn to vapor and is a good way to remove the last bits, but if you wash it a bunch of times, I'm sure you'll get the last bits out since you started with a nice diluted amount.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #6 
Fin Fancier

Thanks for the help everyone :). Of course its just my luck. I finally get a sunny day and I won't be home until dark. I left the tank in the kitchen, though, so it will get some air drying time. I think I'll call it good and set it up tonight and double condition. My new guy is anxious to get out of his qt tank and into his new five gallon.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote