Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #1 
Loki22

Help! Betta with labored breathing

I just noticed that my Betta Loki was laying at the botton of the tank, laying on his side and breathing heavily, and rapidly. i really do not know what it is, maybe stress? but his body looks very thin, even tho he gets a steady diet of 3 pellets every day. i have moved him from the filted 5 gallon tank, and into a betta cup that i brought him home in.
Thursday 10-4-i just added new fish to the tank, 5 pigmy cories, they all seem to be doing fine. they are very small and stay small, could i have caused a spike in ammonia? i havent tested my water yet, and im not to good about reading these, and i think my test strips are not good, they seem to give me different readings every time i use them.

please help! i do not know what i am doing wrong.
Loki22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Sorry, but only a betta can fit in a 5 gallon without this happening. Did you just put all 5 CORIES in the tank at once? A 5 gallon with that much fish should be cleaned atleast twice a week. Any signs of disease on the betta? BTW, pygmies need a minimum of a 10 gallon to be healthy, as they prefer schooling and larger groups.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #3 
Loki22

should i move him to a new tank and hope that he makes it?
the pigmys where given to me, now i feel absolutly stupid for doing this, what else can i do?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #4 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki22 View Post
should i move him to a new tank and hope that he makes it?
the pigmys where given to me, now i feel absolutly stupid for doing this, what else can i do?

i would move him into about a 1 gallon so you can keep an eye on him and watch hm cloasely, if you need to medicate.

Keep the cories in the 5 gal for now, and No! Your not stupid!

can you post a picture?
How long has this been going on?

It might be ammonia poisoning. Is his gills red and inflamed/puffy? Is he having trouble breathing?
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #5 
Connierodz

Omg..that happened to my betta..so i placed him in a gallon bowl with condition salt water..and we went back to normal the next day...but i dont know what i did wrong with my tnk that day..(im thinking that i forgot to add conditioner) but i really dont remember cause i was cleaning two tanks at thevsame time...good luck with your betta!
Connierodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #6 
Loki22

He has been like this since 7:30 ish ( says my mom who was home that early )
he usually hides in the plants, and comes up when he see's us, but latly it takes him a minute or two to notice. and today he didnt even try
right now he is right side up agian

his gills do not look puffy or red, he does seem to have trouble breathing, it seems rapid

how do i post pictures on here? i got some clear shots
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #7 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki22 View Post
He has been like this since 7:30 ish ( says my mom who was home that early )
he usually hides in the plants, and comes up when he see's us, but latly it takes him a minute or two to notice. and today he didnt even try
right now he is right side up agian

his gills do not look puffy or red, he does seem to have trouble breathing, it seems rapid

how do i post pictures on here? i got some clear shots
If you have saved them on your computer, use the advanced reply button at the top of the page. At the top of your gray box you are typing in, you will see a button that looks like a paperclip. Click on that and a new window will pop up. Hit the browse button and select your picture from your computer. Then click upload, continue to do this until you have all the pictures you want. Now comes the tricky part. At the bottom of that new window, there will be a button that says close this window or save, click it. Then you will need to scroll down on the reply page and select attach these photos.
I hope that helps.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #8 
Loki22

ok i attached the pictures, i just took them
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #9 
Loki22

well he is gone... no longer breathing....
thank you for all your help, now i feel just awful..... he was such a great betta and iv only had him acouple of months, and now iv lost him......