Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #1 
AlisonK

Do I need to medicate? Need advice please!!! (OldFishlady?)

Hi....I'll try to keep this brief - My original post was here http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107702

Basically, my betta had this lump appear on his side that steadily got bigger and bigger. In my original post, it was said it may be a tumor (which I don't think it is now...), and OldFishLady suggested I use Epsom Salts for 14 days and IAL, which I did, but to no real effect.

Then, the poor guy started getting a bit of fin rot (this was after I listened to the petco guy who told me his lump was probably because I changed the water too much...I took his advice and started changing the water in my 2.5 gal tank 50% twice a week and using a gravel vac.)....I was using the IAL at the time too.
Well that was a bad idea. After about 3 weeks of this his whole top fin started showing signs of fin rot. He went off his food for a few days too.

I immediately did a 100% water change, got some aquarium salt and some stress coat, and did 10 days of 100% water changes every day with 1 tsp AQ salt per gallon, plus stress coat. That was about 2 weeks ago. I now use stress coat every time I change the water, which is 100% twice a week.

After the AQ salt treatment - his lump started to change. First it changed to white, but was still a lump. Towards the end of the 10 days, it seemed to burst open, and now is a white hole, and looks like a gaping wound....pretty nasty. I actually do think it is trying to heal. It must have been some sort of cyst.

I really want to try and heal this up now....
I switched to a better food, Spectrum Betta Formula, and am also feeding frozen brine shrimp. I still put stress in all his water changes (I use Reverse osmosis water with liquid R/O Right minerals to replace minerals in the RO water). The temp is constant at 80 degrees (we are in FL, so don't use a heater this time of year).

Sorry, I know this is getting long....

I'd like to know if I need to medicate him, or if this kind of wound will heal on its own, I just need to give it time and good care.
If I need to medicate...what to use??? I was worried the white color of it could mean some sort of fungus, but I don't know....

Please, any advice would be welcome at this point.

These are the pics - in order from when it started to now. The middle one was during the AQ salt treatment, before the lump burst. The last one was taken tonight...big hole, but no more lump.

Thanks!
Attached Images

AlisonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #2 
Blue Fish

I'm not an expert, but I think you're right in thinking it was a cyst...I know that in land animals some parasites can form cysts like that and they eventually burst...and I'd think the same thing could happen to a fish.

I'd definitely keep the water *really* clean, that'll help him to heal and to prevent any infections.
The stress coat is good...and the AQ salt can help him heal/prevent infection as well.
I'd definitely PM OFL though and ask about parasites and treatments for them, maybe something more vigerous than the salt you've already used? Or maybe the salt is why it burst open and now he's healing...that's an OFL question for sure. :)

Good luck to you and your little guy though, I hope that he is feeling better soon!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #3 
AlisonK

Thanks for responding Blue Fish!

Yes, I was hoping OFL would see this and chime in....she helped out with this at first!

A question about the AQ Salt treatments...is it ok to repeat a 10 day treatment? Would that help? I have already done a 10 day treatment and didn't really want to repeat it so soon, I read that the salt over the long term is not too good for them.

Basically, I'd like to know if I should just leave it to heal - keeping water very clean with stress coat, or go with something stronger, like antibiotics. That might help his fin rot too, although that's not getting any worse...it just needs to grow back on his top fin.

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #4 
Blue Fish

I'm not at all familiar with the salt treatments, only ever tried them after coming here, so unfortunately I'm no help at all there about how long you can do them for. :( I'm sorry!
As for the meds...you've got two different camps. One says to use meds when you need them, the other says to avoid meds and treat with salt. I've tried both, but have traditionally always used meds just because I didn't know about the salt.
I know that the meds are hard on them, and can cause more harm than good...and I know that salt can have long-term issues if you use too much, but I think it's still gentler on them than the meds.
I think that if he's eating well, active, and doesn't seem to be in any distress, I'd just do exactly what you're doing with the clean water and stress coat and leave him to heal. If he starts acting puny, then you might consider salt or meds...but unfortunately I can't quite decide where to go with that one either. :(
As for the fin rot, I've actually had much better luck with frequent water changes to heal that up than I have with meds. I tried treating one of my guys who was also a walmart rescue, and it worked okay, but the rot kept coming back until I just started changing his water frequently and worked on getting him healthy, and very quickly the rot healed up and he started looking better. :) I think the meds for fin rot either aren't terribly effective, or they're so hard on the fish that they can't assist in fighting off the disease and so the rot lingers. I didn't even use salt to treat, just frequent water changes, good food, and warm water. :)

Have you tried PM'ing OFL? You can also try Sakura8. :)
I hope that helps!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #5 
AlisonK

Thanks Blue Fish! I just PM'ed Oldfishlady, hopefully she'll respond soon!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

It could be a cyst, a parasite or a tumor-the pigment cell melanoma will do that as well-As the melanoma grows in layers it will burst-ooze-heal over-grow-burst-ooze-repeat....Generally it is not fatal-usual cause of death is due to a secondary infection-most common being aeromonas/pseudomonas.

Since I don't use or recommend antibiotics-(I am not critical of those that do-its a personal choice)-You might want to contact Sakura another Mod for assistance with them if that is what you want to try.

The treatment I use/recommend is clean water, low temp and good nutrition to support the immune response and prevent a secondary infection. Use of salt on an as needed bases, however, use of a tannin source at all times can be helpful to both treat and prevent.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #7 
AlisonK

Thanks oldfishlady,

I'm not a user of antibiotics for myself or family either, so I was hesitant to use them for the fish to be honest. I will just keep a close eye on him, and clean the water regularly, and use the IAL.

I went to petco this afternoon and got some frozen bloodworms. Tried to feed one to him, but he just eyed it suspiciusly. I think I'd need to cut it up. How do you feed these things? They seem a bit big to feed whole.

Could you advise on a menu plan? Is it ok to feed frozen brine shrimp/bloodworms everyday? (In very small servings), as well as the Spectrum pellets?

I will post back if things start taking a turn for the worse,

Thanks again!

Alison
Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I feed very little processed fish foods-but the more varied the better.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote