Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #1 
cliffordsmom

Tank upgrade!

I'm finally moving my betta out of his 1 gallon bowl and into a filtered, heated 2.5 tank.

My biggest concern is with the heater. It should be considerably warmer in his new tank compared to the heatless bowl. How should I get him acclimated to the warmer temperature?

I'm kind of scared to just toss him in there haha.
cliffordsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #2 
shellieca

You don't just toss him in there you acclimate him. What I do is put him or her into a tupperware container, one that is more shallow & only have enough water for him to be covered well (about 1/2 full typically). Float the container in the new tank, add a tablespoon of water from the new tank, wait 15 minutes then add another tablespoon of water. I'll do this for no less than an hour, longer if possible. Then I will gently dip one side of the container & let him swim out.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #3 
Friendlyfishies

what I do, not sure if this is the right way or wrong way but it seems to work and I havent had a betta go in shock on me yet in all my years...I put him in the new tank (house temp) let him explore for a while then plug the heater in...the heater will begin to heat the water and the heater water will move about the tank over the course of maybe 20 minutes....then hes had a chance to get used to it without just being placed in a heated tank, you may also see him hover around the heater...they love the heat at first! My guys circle around their heater when I first turn it on for a good 10 minutes.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #4 
Laki

Well he definitely needs to acclimate to the new water.. As shellieca said, put him in a cup or bag with the water he lived in and float it in the new tank. Every 5 minutes or so add some new water from the tank to the bag/cup. All the time running the heater. This combines the idea that friendlyfishes has about letting them get used to it as the hater warms up, but it's a much safer method to keep them in their own water for up to a half hour.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #5 
cliffordsmom

Great! Thanks for the help, guys. :)
He's finally in there and is loving his new tank. I placed his cup over the side and let his water reach about the temperature of the tank.

Do any of you know anything about filters?
I'm worried that mine is a little too strong. It was designed for bettas, and has a pretty weak flow but I'm still concerned that its a little much. He got his tail stuck in it earlier, but managed to get out. Until I can find a sponge filter, do you know if its okay to turn the filter on and off throughout the day?
Or maybe do you think he just needs a little more time to get used to it?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #6 
Laki

Leave the filter on running all the time (it helps bacteria establish). TO baffle the out flow just get an elastic band and cut up some sponge and stop the flow there. And on the intake valve elastic band a piece of panty hose or coffee filter around it.. Here's mine lol (I did a sloppy job but it works)
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #7 
cliffordsmom

Awesome idea! Thank you so much for your help!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #8 
Laki

np! Good luck :0
ps, is that an italian greyhound or a whippet in your avatar?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #9 
homegrown terror

i'm using chunks of aquarium sponge shoved into the intake tube to slow the flow on those tanks as have that kind of filter. the ones with whisper filters have gang valves on the airlines that i adjust to slow their flow to a betta-friendly speed.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote