Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #1 
sainthogan

cloudy eyes

I know this has been talked about before, but I can't find it anywhere. My Betta has developed cloudy eyes, she seems like she can see ok, but her movements are not as fast and active as before, and she's flaring at me more than before. The only thing I have done differently is started using topfin betta water conditioner. Would this cause this problem? I've also hooked up her tank light.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? upper 70's
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta flakes and freeze dried blood worms and the occasional fruit fly if I happen to catch one.
How often do you feed your betta fish? flakes 2 times a day and blood worms once a week

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% did one 2 days ago
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Topfin betta water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? cloudy eyes
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a day ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes, she had velvet a few weeks ago and about a week ago jumped from her tank and spent approximately 1/2 an hour out of the water before I found her.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 6 or 7 months.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #2 
sainthogan

I just read that excessive lighting can cause cloudy eyes, is this true?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #3 
sainthogan

Ok, so I've noticed some red around her gills, but I'm not sure if it's part of her coloring or not since she's truly now starting to get her colors. She's much more vibrant than when I bought her, which leads me to believe that she was maybe a little sick at the pet store even though she didn't start to act sick until several weeks later.
I'm not noticing any labored breathing, she's still swimming around her whole tank, but she is flaring at me a lot. She still wants to eat like a piggy (just not pellets of any kind), and is more active than she was yesterday. I've turned her lights off in case that was causing her eyes to become cloudy. I'm waiting for my water test kit to come. The closest pet supply store is 3 hours away, and they only sell strip kits, and apparently, mine are defective, they read the same readings for all water, even water I've purposely messed with to throw the readings.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #4 
Aus

First thing I'd do is a complete water chemistry test. If you're having ammonia/nitrite spikes (ie, if your tank is trying to cycle..) it could be symptoms of poisoning.

Red usually isn't good, where it pops up on a fish with other symptoms. Cloudy eye can be a bacterial infection, as can the redness.

If you don't want to buy a test kit, up the water changes by an extra 50% (or more) per week and see how the fish does. If you can get some IAL, use that too, it has soothing and healing properties. A very small amount of salt added to the tank for just one water change will help, if it turns out be ammonia/nitrite issues as it helps the fish to shed the toxin. Water changes will then flush the salt out.

If there's no improvement in a few days after that, I would assume it's bacterial and treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #5 
sainthogan

I had just changed her water the day before with treated and aged water, so I don't think it's ammonia. I am getting a testing kit, but I had to order it online as the closest petstore (3 hours away) only sells strip kits, and the ones I bought from there are defective (I poured ammonia directly into a bucket of water and tested it, and it still said 0). I'll have to order the IAL online too. She's in a 5-gallon tank with plants and a filter and I do a 50% water change once a week. I have "quick cure" that I used for her velvet, would this work for a bacterial infection as well, otherwise, I'll need to order that online as well.

She does have a lot of vibrant red naturally, her ventral fins have always been a bright red with a stark black outline. Only the edges of her gills are red, and down to where her ventral fins meet her body are the that color, which is why I'm wondering if it's actually part of her color change. They are the same color as the picture of your fish. When she stripes, she stripes in shades of red. Her tail, dorsal and anal fins have red and stripes of irredescent purple. Her body also has an irredescent purple sheen, that fades to red when she stripes.

There is no behavior change except that she's flaring more at me more. Her gills are not inflamed, nor is she gasping for breath. She has no trouble finding her food, and after she's done flaring at me, she expects to be fed, and will actually flare more if food doesn't arrive.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #6 
freshwaterfishtips

This is most likely bacterial, you may want to talk to some fish hobbyists for some good bacterials like Neofix or something like that.I know because my little boy just came down with that too, and the doctor said it's bacterial...he has dropsy now. You might want to treat your betta quickly.

But with excessive lighting, IDK sorry...

Last edited by freshwaterfishtips; 10-10-2012 at 05:23 PM.
freshwaterfishtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #7 
sainthogan

Ok, so it's going to take about a week for the antibiotics to get here, what can I do in the meantime? No one around where I live has any fish antibiotics, in fact most people don't even have fish (We only have about 300 people in our little community)
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #8 
sainthogan

So I saw that I can use aquarium salt to treat bacterial infections, but of course, I don't have any. Can I use epsom salts instead?