Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #1 
dbrooke1

is this betta a male or a female?

hello everyone! i gave in and bought a bigger tank for my betta since i heard they can live longer in one. so, since i now had an extra smaller tank, i just bought my second betta today. wooo!
it's a dragon scale betta and the worker at petsmart didn't know whether it was either a male or a female. posting a pic. what do you think? =) thank you.
dbrooke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:21 AM   #2 
ZergyMonster

If you post a picture we can evaluate the fish in question.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:23 AM   #3 
dbrooke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrooke1 View Post
hello everyone! i gave in and bought a bigger tank for my betta since i heard they can live longer in one. so, since i now had an extra smaller tank, i just bought my second betta today. wooo!
it's a dragon scale betta and the worker at petsmart didn't know whether it was either a male or a female. posting a pic. what do you think? =) thank you.
here's one pic.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #4 
ZergyMonster

It's kind of hard to tell, if you can get a couple shots from underneath your betta and if you can get a photo when it is flaring I can definitively answer your question. But from the looks alone from this picture alone I would say, Male. Male plakat I believe.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #5 
OrangeAugust

He looks more like a male since his anal fin is pretty long. Usually it's easier to tell by the length of the ventral fins, but since he's holding them against his body in this pic I can't quite tell. Females usually have really cute, tiny, triangle-shaped ventrals while males have long thin ones.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #6 
DragonFish

100% Definitely male. Females have much shorter fins and ventrals, as well as generally a more 'delicate' body shape to them.
Hes quite adorable. ;)

Those 'Dragon Scale' bettas they sell at Petsmart are generally male(at least, I've never come across a female)Plakat(shorter-finned), or PK, bettas. Some really aren't even Dragons, which is a color pattern. Sigh, I really wish they would start labeling their fish correctly....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #7 
dbrooke1

thank you, and you all are right! he's creating a bubble nest right now as i'm typing this. it's confirmed. ;)
appreciate it. yes, i think he's an adorable one too. i was going to go for a betta like a crowntail or half moon bc they have long tails. but, this one was cute and so i took him home.
since i now have a 5.5 and a 2.5 gal, would it be stressful if i switched the bettas to different tank once a week or once every two weeks when i do a water change? it'd be nice to have two big tanks, but i don't have the room. oh well! hmm?
Old 10-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #8 
sainthogan

Wow, yours definitely looks a lot more male than my Dragon Scale that the staff almost rudely insisted was male after I suggested that maybe she was female. Turns out I was right (at least we're pretty sure), mine has a white spot, and her anal fins is much more rounded than your fish. And she doesn't build bubble nests, and gets beautiful breeding stripes of different shades of red, even though she has a purple irredescent sheen all over her body and stripes of it in her fins.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

He is adorable !!! Moving them like that might be stressful for them but you can try, best wishes to you and your new guy he is so pretty !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #10 
dbrooke1

wonderful!! sounds like she's female to me. ;) must be quite pretty