Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #11 
Luimeril

a lot of people are of the mentality that they're 'just fish'. while to us, they're more than that, not a lot of people think the way we do about them. nothing wrong with them, they just don't love bettas the way we do.

personally, i'd bring the issue up to your parents. tell them how much it bothers you that she think so little of something that is yours, and that, even if they don't see the life of a betta the way you do, the fact that she's threatening something that is YOURS upsets you.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #12 
Bettagirl101

Yeah she has some serious mental issues. She was on some medicine but stopped taking it because it made her tired and depressed. My parents know about this and they won't let me move my fish to my room. They like having him there.
Bettagirl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #13 
Bettagirl101

Even if I told my parents they would not do anything about it. They also have the mind set that it is just a fish. At least they are not trying to kill my fish.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #14 
MyRainbowBettaFish

i hate seeing anyone with anger with animals, and killing animals. It hurts me. But one day, this will bite her in the back, literally :)

Maybe divide a 4 gallon temproarily with your other betta in you bedroom?
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #15 
Aus

This is pretty sad. I'm sorry you have to feel this way in your own home, and that your fish is maybe not safe.

It's sad too that you are not being heard. Your sister's bullying is not acceptable behaviour - and she should not get away with it.

There's two issues here - 1/ the welfare of your pet and 2/ the bullying. Yes, this is bullying, and in a 19 year old young woman, depressed or whatever or not, it's damn pathetic.

Perhaps raise it with your parents as a bullying issue, rather than it being about your pet (if nobody else gives a crap about your fish's well being). Tell them you are having a hard time coping with the threats to your pet, because you feel it's aggression against you, yourself (which, let's face it, it probably is).

Maybe they don't care about a fish. But they'll probably listen better to that angle on the problem because they care about you.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #16 
Bettagirl101

I will try to divide my 5 gallon that is in my room. I'll talk about it to them but I don't know if anything will be done. I hope they will let me divide my 5 gallon.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #17 
OhNoLenX

I knew a kid that was mean to dogs, literally screamed in their ears and beat them with sticks... he ended up with 37 stitches and facial scars he will have to live with for the rest of his life. The dog that did it went to a second chance ranch and is doing wonderful. The boy... probably wont abuse animals again.

Just saying, it might not be a betta fish, but what goes around comes around. Having a "mental issue" is just an excuse to get what you want or that your a brat, especially if its an anger issue. A good butt kicking usually solves it pretty well.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 10-10-2012 at 06:33 PM.
OhNoLenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #18 
whiskandbowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoLenX View Post
Having a "mental issue" is just an excuse to get what you want or that your a damn brat, especially if its an anger issue. A good ass kicking usually solves it pretty well.
Having a mental disablity is not an "excuse" to get what you want. It is a real thing that should be taken seriously. I have a cousin with Bipolar disorder and he's tried attacking his siblings before. He simply cannot help it, he's missing the systems necessary to mentally and physically restrain himself.

I find it concerning that your parents seem so lax about her attitude towards both you, and a living animal. I know many people with the mentality of "it's just a fish", but that doesn't justify purposeful harm. It can start with a fish, but how long until it progresses to other animals, and even people?
I agree with approaching them in the manner Aus suggested.
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #19 
OhNoLenX

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskandbowl View Post
Having a mental disablity is not an "excuse" to get what you want. It is a real thing that should be taken seriously. I have a cousin with Bipolar disorder and he's tried attacking his siblings before. He simply cannot help it, he's missing the systems necessary to mentally and physically restrain himself.
From my experience in a doctors office, only about 1 in 7 have actual issues that deserve medication. Otherwise its a quick and easy fix for doctors to just medicate kids rather than fix the actual problems they may be having whether its family or socially related.

Back to the fish, I would rather not go on a tangent about overly medicated kids and vaccines.

Move the fish to your room, leave the tank, see how long it takes your folks to notice.
OhNoLenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #20 
SnowySurface

Quote:
I knew a kid that was mean to dogs, literally screamed in their ears and beat them with sticks... he ended up with 37 stitches and facial scars he will have to live with for the rest of his life. The dog that did it went to a second chance ranch and is doing wonderful. The boy... probably wont abuse animals again.

Just saying, it might not be a betta fish, but what goes around comes around. Having a "mental issue" is just an excuse to get what you want or that your a damn brat, especially if its an anger issue. A good ass kicking usually solves it pretty well.
Well...I had no idea that my "mental issue" of ADHD is better treated by a dog bite to the face than medication. I'll be sure to ask my doctor if I should change my treatment from a daily pill to a vicious dog since I never grew out of all the symptoms. Maybe the vicious dog will bite away the last bits of "excuse" left in me.

Quote:
From my experience in a doctors office, only about 1 in 7 have actual issues that deserve medication. Otherwise its a quick and easy fix for doctors to just medicate kids rather than fix the actual problems they may be having whether its family or socially related.

Back to the fish, I would rather not go on a tangent about overly medicated kids and vaccines.

Move the fish to your room, leave the tank, see how long it takes your folks to notice.

I too don't want to go on a tangent about medicated kids and vaccines. Especially since I feel very passionately about both topics and could go on forever defending the validity of medications for people of all ages and vaccines.

However, you can't do the equivalent of throwing a match into a forest and then call the resulting fire a tangent. I would look the other way if you at least gave good advice that could help the OP, but your suggestion will just get her in trouble and increase her stress. If her parents want the fish to stay where it is because they like it there, it's a decoration to them. Once the OP finds out how long it takes her parents to notice, she will also find out how much time she has to put the fish right back where it was. That puts her 2 steps backwards.

My advice to the OP is two fold:

1) Follow Aus's advice and get her parents to realize that what is happening is bullying and should not be toleranted. Just because the threats are aimed at a fish instead of a puppy doesn't mean the threats aren't a form of emotional abuse.

2) Get her parents to realize just how unstable the sister is so she can get proper treatment. There is more than one pill. If the first medication had bad side effects, go back to the doctor and try something else. There are also ways to control mental health issues besides medication. Maybe the answer is therapy or behavior councling. Either way, the OP's sister needs professional help.

I usually don't play abuse or doctor card when offering advice, but the sister's behavior would alarm me even if she was threatening to damage dolls instead of kill fish. The parents are missing major red flags.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, blue, dead, veiltail