Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #21 
Bettagirl101

I am going to try and have a family meeting asap. I will talk about the issue and see what can be done about it.
Bettagirl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #22 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettagirl101 View Post
I am going to try and have a family meeting asap. I will talk about the issue and see what can be done about it.
Super idea !!! Just be calm and do your best to keep everyone from screaming at each other. I hope everything works out for you and your fishy.

If you don't have any 'table-type' space in your room ... can you maybe put the tank on the floor? Just a suggestion.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #23 
nel3

i hope the best will come out of the family meeting. i must admit i went over the line a bit myself when getting a 5th betta. i didnt have much space myself for a spare tank but ended up puting one on my dining table.

i would agree to look for a alternative spot in your room to put the tank. a shelf worth of books or something similar in storage space is worth it to put the betta in a safe place in your room. a space on the floor is most likely better than an area where your sister can access to feed the fish. it sucks that you are put in such a condition regardless of your families view of fish. just try to get through this situation and make the best of it.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #24 
toad

Quote:
She has kept bettas before so she knows how to care for one properly.
Quote:
She is the type of person who would keep a betta in an inch of water or less because "it's just a fish."

...Slight discrepancy in the story there - if she would keep a fish in an inch of water she does not, in fact, know how to care for one.

Move the fish to a place where he'll be safe or rehome him. It's the animal's safety that is most important here.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #25 
Bettagirl101

I can't put it on the floor because the cat will get to it and even though there is a lid the cat is very smart and knows how to get the lid off of my fish tank. I could move him and put him on a storage rack for now. At least until the whole thing blows over. The storage rack is not near a plug for his light though. He is in a 1 gallon non filtered tank but I do plan on getting him a filtered 2.5 gallon NPT come christmas time. I will figure out where to put it when I get it.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #26 
toad

Quote:
I can't put it on the floor because the cat will get to it and even though there is a lid the cat is very smart and knows how to get the lid off of my fish tank. I could move him and put him on a storage rack for now. At least until the whole thing blows over. The storage rack is not near a plug for his light though. He is in a 1 gallon non filtered tank but I do plan on getting him a filtered 2.5 gallon NPT come christmas time. I will figure out where to put it when I get it.
I think that would work well, but you wouldn't have a way to plug in his heater - I've heard Texas gets pretty chilly at night. That would be my only concern.

I understand about the cat... Very crafty little things they are!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #27 
nel3

go for the storage rack if its strong enoughto support the tank. you can probably drop by a store and get an extension wire for the electric items. any safe place is better than a floor or a risky common area.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #28 
Leopardfire

Try upgrading your first betta's tank to a 5 or 10 gallon and then keep both fish together with a divider. Then they could both be safe in your room.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #29 
nel3

i beleive the safe betta is already in a 5g tank.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #30 
Bettagirl101

Yeah the safe betta is because he is a whopping 3 inches. Unfortunently I have no room for a 10 gallon. Besides if I did my parents wouldn't let me have one anyway. They don't like me having the 5 gallon in my room as is. I do have a plug close to the storage rack, the plug is behind my bed. I will probably get an electrical cord for the electric items. Now to just find a way to move it and not get yelled at.

Tags
betta, blue, dead, veiltail