Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #1 
HurricaneKatt

Tank Questions

Hello! I'm new here but not entirely new to Bettas. My name is Katt. :) My betta King Duke just died recently and I am going to be getting a new one soon. I have some quick questions thouh as there's actually 3 in the store I can't make up my mind between... lol
I have a little 2.5-3 gallon (can't remember exact size) that King Duke happily lived in with his snail friend. BUT I also have a 10 galling that is empty. I saw a pew posts on here with people with multiple bettas in one tank... Could I put 2 in a 10g? What is the best way to divide the tank in half if not? I have plexiglass, but they might hurt themselves trying to get at each other.:..

My other Q is in regards to tank height. I know bettas are usually kept in smaller tanks and can be kept in larger ones, but how deep is too deep? I saw some super cool tall vases today and if it could be set up right it would look way cool to have a tall bamboo or something in the vase along with the fish, and have 2 (like columns). They are about 2 feet tall - is that too deep for a betta? And what would I need to do to make the vase acceptable.

My King Duke lived in a vase for a long time until I found out they aren't supposed to be kept that way. :( That's when I got his new tank (can't post pics bc I'm on my phone). I am tempted to try and see if getting all 3 at the same time...
HurricaneKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

welcome!

The vases are not good, because bettas prefer more horizontal swimming space.

If you divide the ten gallon, thatwould be the best thing ever!
Currently, my betta lives in a 10 gallon by himself.

Divide it with craft mesh and silicone report binder spines to each end of the tank.

so heres how your tank would go:

))))))divider)))))))))filter and heater))))))))divider)))))other fish

so, your filter and heater would be in the middle, giving equal heater and filtrtion to each fish. The 2 dividers would be hard to get through, since they would have to dig through one or jump over the other.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #3 
katydidmischief

This is an older photo of my divided 10 gallon. I went with the single divider, but most people go with a double like MyRainbowBettaFish said. It gives an extra barrier between the little dudes in case someone breaks through. I got my craft mesh at Michaels, but Joanns, AC Moore, and I believe Hancock fabrics carry it; the black report spines I got from Staples and they're the hard plastic kind so plenty rigid.

I did mine so it fits tightly and goes completely to the top of the tank. There is literally no room for them to jump the divider, which is a concern with two bettas in a divided tank. You can also hide the divider with plants. I personally don't because my guys are pretty docile and I've never seen them flare at each other.
Attached Images

katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #4 
HurricaneKatt

Hmm... I don't want to make an alteration to the tank that would be permanent though. :( Another option is two smaller tanks, but I don't have outlets for 3 tank filters and such. If I did a bowl with a plant in it would I still need a filter? Also what if I had say a plant and a bubbler, would that be sufficient? (filters are spendy)
Old 10-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #5 
katydidmischief

Oh, mine's not permanent--the divider will pop right out if I move it. And you can always get a bubbler, a gang valve, and a sponge filter. They're all relatively cheap. I got my sponge filter for my 5.5 gallon off amazon for about 6 bucks with shipping and a gang valve for a few bucks too.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #6 
sareena79

Quote:
If I did a bowl with a plant in it would I still need a filter?
opinions vary on this, however my crowntail boy (Sushi) is in a 2gal vase (OH NO! lol) but its wider, squatty one not a tall one so he has horizontal swim room. He has a heater, thermometer and light and instead of a filter I use a live Pothos plant (roots submerged, leaves out) however u can submerge the leaves as long as u are careful to remove any decay. I rinse my roots at every water change (100% once a week) and trim them back about once a month. the plant acts as a natural filter (as long as its got active growth) and oxygenates the water as well. I would suggest a 25w adjustable heater, they can be found on amazon for pretty cheap and I beleive walmart has some as well. thermometers can be found online for like a buck. this is the light I use http://www.amazon.com/AquaTop-21-LED.../dp/B004RJFC80 but Im sure u can find cheaper alternantives, I just like it b/c it sits well on the lip of his "tank" and it has a daylight and moonlight setting...anyway, hope this helps :) good luck
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #7 
HurricaneKatt

What is a vang valve? I see some people on here have 1gal tanks, I always thought the rule was 5gal per fish? I always figured my little tank was on the small side. Would a 1 gallon be okay??? That's about what my fish was in before I gave him his tank. He lived almost 4 years.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #8 
HurricaneKatt

Gang valve* Sorry please excuse my typos - I am posting from my temperamental phone... :(
Old 10-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #9 
katydidmischief

It's okay. A gang valve allows for adjusting of the items attached to an air pump. So for me, I have a gang valve attached to the air line for my air stones and sponge filter and allows me to change how powerful each thing is. I love them since you don't have to baffle any filter that's air pump driven like the Whisper 3i.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #10 
HurricaneKatt

Yay I got my new fish tonight! :D He's deep red with hints of purple. He was one of the healthiest looking fish at the store (if not THE healthiest), and was blowing big bubble nets. I'll try to get pics later. I'm going to get new rocks and decor for the tank too since the whole tank was set up to match King Duke's purple color. :( I'm going to go with a more natural look this time, and maybe try a moss ball and some plants. :)