Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #11 
OrangeAugust

Sorry for your loss.
I have that same tank and my female betta jumped out that same hole in the back when I wasn't home two weekends ago. Obviously she didn't make it. I know how bad it feels to realize you could have prevented it by covering up the hole. You gave him a better home for at least a little while. Don't blame yourself.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #12 
MyRainbowBettaFish

i am so sorry for your loss! May he S.I.P under rainbow bridge
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #13 
Friendlyfishies

so sorry :( I always worry about my plakat too, after reading this I covered his hole in the back of the tank and his feed whole with craft mesh, hope it does the trick... I wouldnt have thought of it if I hadnt seen your post. I know bettas can jump but figured, "oh he wont jump out, he has a cover"..yet the 2 x 5 hole where the filter is would have been the part I over looked and would have been more than enough space to escape. Im sure he could still slip through the part I couldnt tape but hopefully the barrier stops him from trying in general.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #14 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

So sorry for your lose....RIP under the rainbow bridge little one !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #15 
laynisample

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did absolutely everything you could have done. Thanks for giving him a better home than the little cup. :)
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #16 
sainthogan

I'm sorry he didn't make it. I was rooting for him. Anything can cause a fish to jump, not just poor water conditions. I think mine jumped for one of the massive amount of fruit flies that had overtaken our house. It's amazing the small space that they can jump through. The hole mine went through was only a 1/2 inch big, if even. Poor guy, at least, you did what you could for him.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #17 
rmarkham

Thank you everyone :(

I added more plants to his now, empty tank and it looks different. My boyfriend is taking me out tonight to look for a new little guy to love/spoil.

I covered the hole on both of my mini bows so this won't happen ever again!
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #18 
rubinthebetta

I'm sorry for your loss...looking for a new fish actually helps. When Picasso died about a week ago, I went to PetSmart "just to look"...like that was gonna happen. I kinda knew that i would end up getting another fish. Now, I'm not as sad as i was before I got Rubin and if i hadn't gotten him...let's just say life wouldn't be so good. Seriously, getting another fish will help you A LOT. I hope you find the right fish!
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #19 
LeoTheLakerBetta

I am very sorry you this happened to you; a good thing that you are aware of the problem and you fixed. You really did the best you can, and I'm sure he is under that rainbow bridge and is probably grateful that he did not die in an awful cup.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #20 
Gracie8890

Im so sorry. At least he passed in a home that loved him and not in a small cup. Sending my hugs *hugs*
Gracie8890 is offline   Reply With Quote