Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #1 
swtluv88420

Question Should I start a betta sorority?

Hi, I recently purchased a female veiltail betta from Petco for my 10 gallon tank, I wanted to get a couple but they only had the one. I have always heard that you can't have any other fish with bettas but in my research I have found this is not true. I really want to start a "sorority" but I don't want to end with dead or hurt fish, so how can I go about starting a sorority? And does it matter that I have one now and later plan purchase more? I do have one large and one very small cave now and I believe I would need some plants for some more hiding spots. My one betta seems pretty happy and active now so I wouldn't want to stress her by getting more females but I don't really want a empty tank either. Any suggestions?? Thanks a bunch.
swtluv88420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

Only one at Petco? That's unusual.
Yes you can add more females after you have added one.
My advice is that when you do, you change the layout of the tank and do a large water change.
Then float the females in their cups for a week so they get used to eachother without access.
I''ve introduced many females this way and they always do well. It's normal for them to nip every now and then but if they are attacking other females then it's of concern.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #3 
swtluv88420

Thanks, they lots of males but only the one female and all the other fish were under quarintine, and the sales associate told me I could put any other fish with my betta. What should I look for when I put the cups together in the tank to make sure they won't fight one another? Thanks again.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #4 
vilmarisv

I just float them for a week or more.
The idea is for them to get used to having other fish around. If you look for flaring behavior, it'll be hard to tell because some females don't flare at all but still can be aggressive.
I know nothing about community tanks, I only keep bettas. Many people house other fish with bettas so they might pitch in if that's what you're looking for... I doubt that ANY other fish will do. They should be compatible.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #5 
swtluv88420

One more question, Does it matter if I get different species, right now I have a veiltail so should I get more veiltails or could I get a halfmoon or crowntail for some variety? Thanks
Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #6 
pittipuppylove

They're all the same species, Betta splendens. The different tail types are like people having brown hair or green eyes in people - it's just a diferent phenotype. You should be able to keep different types together with no problems :)
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #7 
swtluv88420

Thanks for the info, I knew species didn't sound right, lol.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #8 
pittipuppylove

lol No problem. Gotta love when you just can't find the right word!
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #9 
swtluv88420

Ok, so I was cleaning my tank and had my original betta girl in a bowl next to the sink I was soak the ornaments in and walked away for a few mins and came back to a dead fishy, :( however it was the last day of my 30days on my reciept so I went to exchange her but I ended up buying 4 baby bettas. I let them float in the cups for a few days and released in them into my 10gal, the smallest of them was getting picked on so I took him/her out and put her back into the cup. No one has died, they do chase each other for a min or two and then leave each other alone, I have one that's bigger than the rest that is definately the dominant one of the group. Today I let the little one back into the tank, no problems so far. My question is since they are still young and I don't really know what the sex of them is but they are not killing each other now will they in the future? Do they get more aggresive as they get older?