Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #1 
Surferjo

Upgrading my Tank

Hello all.

I've been lurking here for a bit but I think I'm at the point where I would like to ask the experts. I've had a small 1 gallon Betta tank for about 4 years now and I just lost my 2nd fish last week. I picked up a new double tail from Petco but while i was in there i decided to bring the tank up a notch and possible invest in a more colorful (and costly) Betta.

I picked up the Fluval 2 gallon and set it up with sand instead of gravel. I know its harder to clean but it looks so much nicer. If its too much of a hassle ill replace it with gravel down the road.

I have a few question and forgive me if some of them venture outside of this forums topic.

Are there any plants that Betta's don't do well with? I picked up 2 different types as you can see from the photo (sorry I'm at work and cant remember the exact names)

If those plants are ok how long should i be leaving the LED light on to keep them alive?

Will keeping the light on all the time have a detrimental effect on the fish?

Will the plants live in aquarium sand or do i need to introduce soil? (ill probably switch to plastic plants if that's the case)

Do you recommend filtering all day long or should i put it on a timer along with the light possibly?

I would like to place a Cichlid stone in the tank and was wondering if this would be ok?
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/578137720/3-Pcs-font-b-Aquarium-b-font-Ornament-font-b-Fish-b-font-Tank-font-b.jpg

I was looking to purchase from this seller on Ebay, http://myworld.ebay.com/aquaworld68 he has great feedback and his Betta seem to be very nice. Anybody ever purchase any fish from him?

What do all these ratings mean F6, A4, H19, B18 etc...?

I'm from NYC, does anybody know of any stores that would sell some of these more exotic looking Betta's?

Are these Catappa (almond leaf) a good thing?

How long should i wait before i introduce fish into this new tank?

Sorry i know its a lot of questions but thank in advance for all your help.

Joey

Surferjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #2 
jake1515

I'm no expert so I will leave the experts to answer the more difficult ones. For my plants though, I have a timer set up for the light so I do 10 hours of light a day and then it just turns off automatically.
jake1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

With the 2g tank you can introduce your new betta the same day IF you do the necessary water changes. In the betta care section there is a sticky on water change schedules based on tank size, so you can get the exact info there. I'm not sure on the LED light and plants..I have plants in just a gravel base, but I use a pretty powerful grow light for them. Sorry, I can't answer all of your questions either...great tank by the way!!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #4 
Surferjo

Thanks for the feedback. So your grow light, is it LED?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferjo View Post
Thanks for the feedback. So your grow light, is it LED?
You're welcome! No, the light is a fluorescent bulb...this is the light I've been using...I have it laying over the top of my 10g tanks.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-...xture/16879945
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #6 
Surferjo

Wow, that's 2 feet!!!! is that just the bulb or does it come with a fixture?