Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #1 
BettaBaited

Best Dwarf Cichlids?

My 55 gal. has just finished cycling! I am now ready to choose the occupants. I am looking for dwarf cichlids that will live together peacefully, maybe even breed in the tank. I am especially leaning towards rams, so if anyone knows of other cichlids that are small, brightly colored & fairly peaceful please inform me! :) If I can only have a small amount of them, (like I know a pair of rams takes 1 foot of territory) I would be interested in knowing good companion fish for them.

So.. to recap: I am looking for a good small, colorful cichlid set up for a 55 gal.

Thanks!
BettaBaited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:36 AM   #2 
Fabian

Rams are actually aggressive but if you put lots of caves or hiding spots,it might reduce the aggressiveness.I've only kept German Blue Rams.They are beautiful as long as you add some lighting,rocks,pebbles and some live plants.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #3 
BettaBaited

I didn't realize they were that aggressive... I used to keep a pair of rams in with my guppies. They had some squabbles occasionally, but I never found a dead guppy, or even torn fins. I guess maybe they were just peaceful individuals. :D
Old 08-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #4 

Maybe look to see what type of water you have (hard/soft).
German blue Ram's often do poorly in anything but soft acidic water and temp around 80 to 86 degrees F.pH below seven.
Bolivian ram is more forgiving with respect to water parameter's and temp.
German blue ram's are fairly sensitive, and many are dissapointed by these fishes Dying when kept outside favored water condtion's.
I have also found that both species do bettter in tank's that are aged a bit rather than newly established aquarium's. Just my two cent's.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #5 
BettaBaited

Thanks for the information. :) My water is fairly soft, and I do have a heater. I believe I had German Blue Rams before, but that was in a previously established tank. So maybe I should look at Bolivian Rams for this tank instead?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBaited View Post
Thanks for the information. :) My water is fairly soft, and I do have a heater. I believe I had German Blue Rams before, but that was in a previously established tank. So maybe I should look at Bolivian Rams for this tank instead?
Bolivaian Ram is much hardier fish.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #7 
Curlyfatbottom

Bolivaian are dull in color
Compare to the other rams
Don't expect peacefull fish when dealing with cichlid
Only Other dwarf I can think of is the cockatoo
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #8 
Philnominal

There are lots of dwarf cichlids that tend to do well in "community" tanks. Unless you get multiple females of the bolivians and let the male choose which one he wants I'd stick to one. I had my male almost kill my female before i downgraded her from my 75 to a 15.

Apistogramma (most like to be in harems)
Rams (already mentioned)
Kribs

Personally after having Bolivians I would go with apistos of some type (haven't had any yet though).
Philnominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #9 
BettaBaited

Ok, so maybe a couple of females in a 30 gal? Breeding them isn't my total goal right now. :)
Old 08-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #10 
lvandert

I'm working on a 55 gallon tank for cichlids at the moment. I found a cichlid forum that is pretty helpful. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...cutter_55g.php this is just the link for 55 gallon set ups but there is a discussion board just like this site. I'm looking into labs, electras and estheras (red) myself.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
55 gallon, cichlids, rams