Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #1 
asukabetta

Yuri is sick? floating on its side irresponsive...

I got a new betta 3 days ago, sadly they didnt have heaters when I got him, so I have to wait a few days before purchasing one. He's currently in a 2,5 gallon bowl.

Right now he is at 73 F (I know its low, but I really need to wait for the heater to come in the store...), and has been sleeping a lot, something I considered normal since the water is indeed cold for a betta, but i'm trying to keep it warm by using isolation and putting him in the warmest room in the house.

But i noticed, either he is a deep sleeper, but when he sleeps, he doesn't react to movement before his glass or sound. Even disturbing the water by dipping my thermometre doesn't bug him.

It's only with a sudden big disturbance does he wake. I don't know if this is normal?

Also I noticed he sleeps tilted to the side, unlike my other betta who sleeps on top of plants, all straight.

I don't think it's normal for him to sleep to the side... but when he isn't in a deep sleep per say he puts himself back straight.... but as time passes he slowly tilts to his side again.

He ignores the plant i put for him right at the perfect lvl of water so he can lay and be close to the surface, and is starting to sleep on the thermometere... which i moved up later nearer to the surface to see if he would use that instead (as my other betta does it lol) . He also doesn't like to sleep or swim down, stays mostly on the surface... (which technically is supposed to be good?)

I'm just checking if i'm being paranoid because his attitude is different from my other betta's who is in a 2 gallon tank with heater.

He was fine yesterday though... his water has aq salt, which i'm using for 10 days to deal with any possible injuries he may have from the store.

Last edited by asukabetta; 10-13-2012 at 02:42 PM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #2 
sainthogan

Maybe a swim bladder issue? I'm really not sure, but I wanted to make sure this stayed up close to the top so people will see it.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #3 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Maybe a swim bladder issue? I'm really not sure, but I wanted to make sure this stayed up close to the top so people will see it.
thanks I've been keeping an eye on him as well... he's so different from my other betta and I had him for so little I don't know what is normal behaviour for him...

So far he isn't tilting to the side, but that is when swims... when he sleeps... he sleeps like a log, sometimes tilts and almost looks dead... scared me a few times...

I'm so sure the heater is the issue, but I cannot do anything about till it is shipped....

Last edited by asukabetta; 10-14-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #4 
asukabetta

update.

He's still very unactive, managed to get his temperature to 75F using my computer as a heater LOL... yeah been watching it all day and it hasn't budged from 75. I have the computer always on so he gets the min. heat he needs... till I get a heater. (the store is starting to get on my nerves and other stores in my city don't sell tropical fish...)

But he doesn't respond to movement or anything... feeding him is even an issue. I don't know what to do and I think he has swim bladder issues as he is always on the top and hardly ever seen him swim around or below the water line.

I kinda got reprimanded by my gf cause she told me to get the healthiest one, not a rescue betta :/ I want this guy to perk up... so i just want to know, what causes swimming bladder issues and what can I do to help him swim?

(e.g: reduce water lvl etc...)

Last edited by asukabetta; 10-14-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #5 
sainthogan

people tend to use epsom salts or aquarium salt to help with swim bladder issue. You could send a private message to Oldfishlady or Sakura8 and ask them for help. Both of them have a lot of experience with sick fishies.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #6 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
people tend to use epsom salts or aquarium salt to help with swim bladder issue. You could send a private message to Oldfishlady or Sakura8 and ask them for help. Both of them have a lot of experience with sick fishies.
thanks! Currently he is undergowing the 10 day aq salt treatment, Im hoping with that and my heater he will soon be right as rain :D