Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #1 
qscoobs

Exclamation Sick Beta, need furtner suggestions

I have had my beta for six months. He has swollen eyes, gray belly, pineconing and clamped fins. He is still eating. I have moved him from his 1 gallon tank to a half gallon container to facilitate the daily 100% water changes. From reading many posts on this blog I came to the conclusion he has dropsy and fin rot. So, I started him on Maracyn Oxy as it was the closest med to what was recommended I could find at the time and added epsom salt and water conditioners. The water is heated to 82 degrees, no filter. When I saw no improvement with the original treatment, I got Maracyn ll and have been treating him for 6 days with that. I still see no improvement, but he is still eating. Any further suggestions?
qscoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi qscoobs and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry your betta is so sick. Do you think you can get a picture of him? And how often do you change the water?

It sounds like either an internal bacterial infection or possibly a tumor. Since the Maracyn isn't working, go ahead and discontinue use of that. Keep him in clean water for a day and then add 1 1/2 tsps of epsom salt to his container. Continue changing the water every day and redo the salt. The epsom salt will help to leech out some of the fluids that are making him bloated.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #3 
qscoobs

Thank you for your reply.

Do you mean I should add 1 1/2 tsps to the half gallon container I have him in now? Or the 1 gal tank he lives in normally?

I have attached a photo taken just a few minutes ago. (The blue is a lot brighter in the photo than in person.)
The white 'growth' at the base of his tail has been there a long time.....I tried researching it but didn't see anything that matched up.

Thank you for any help you can give me.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Yikes. It looks like there's a strong possibility your betta has tumors. :( If this is the case, there isn't anything we can do for him but to make him as comfortable as possible.

If the 1/2 gal container he is in now is easier to change the water in, then add the epsom salt to that. Otherwise, if you move him back to his 1 gal home, the dosage is 3 tsp per gallon.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #5 
qscoobs

Thanks for the info. That is so sad. Did I cause the illness somehow?
Old 07-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #6 
Sakura8

No. You certainly didn't cause the tumors, if that's what it is. Don't blame yourself. There are any number of reasons why he could have gotten sick.

Just keep the water clean and warm and keep on loving him. :)
Old 07-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #7 
qscoobs

Hi again,

You were so helpful when I last posted.....

Just an update on Denim, my sick betta. He is still alive!! He is still eating. I thought he would probably be gone by now. I kept him in a half gallon container that was not see through....sort of like solitary confinement. So I moved him to his tank.....1+ gallons. He seems so happy and he interacts when I approach the tank. Couldn't I keep him in here and do 50% (or a little more) water change daily, with the water conditioners and Epsom salt (3 tsps)?

thank you again!!!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Hi, I'm glad to hear he's still eating and still alive. :) Yes, you certainly can keep him in his 1 gallon. Has his belly shrunk at all?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #9 
qscoobs

No, not at all.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #10 
Sakura8

:( Then I'm pretty sure it's a tumor. Especially since he's still eating. A betta that bloated for that long would have stopped eating a long time ago. But he seems to be happy and still comfortable. Even with a tumor like that, a betta can live comfortably for several more months.