Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #1 
Leopardfire

What is the easiest way to keep multiple bettas?

Hey, so I've noticed that a lot of members on here have 10+ bettas and I was wondering how you keep them all. I know each betta should have 5-10 gallons of space which makes it difficult to keep more than a few. A 10 gallon tank costs around $80 once you get the filter, hood, gravel, and decorations which can quickly get expensive when keeping multiple fish.
So how do you guys keep all of your bettas? I doubt you spend over $1000 on cages so there has to be a cheaper way than buying expensive 10 gallon aquariums for each fish. I really love bettas and I want to keep more, but I just can't afford $100 set up per fish.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I keep two one in a ten gallon and the other in a twenty some of us build sorties.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #3 
ZergyMonster

I keep my long finned males(2) in a 2.5 gallon kritter keepers, they cost me $10 each and I add my live plant clippings to keep their water quality cleaner. My plakat is in a 5 gallon naturally planted tank (NPT) where I don't have a filter. And finally I have a 10 gallon sorority where my 5 girls live in sustainable dissonance; they pick on each other but don't do anything harmful.

My 5 gallon cost me $30 and my 10 gallon costed me $33. Substrate is soil with sand cap so it only cost me $6 for all the tanks. The plants costed me roughly $200 but with each plant they continually grow so I get free plants for each tank and the tanks I plan on getting!

I've spent about $500 total on my fish equipment and most are self sustaining. With a water change every week and paying for electricity for the heaters it is a very minimal cost each month.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #4 
katydidmischief

I keep two of my males in a divided ten gallon, one in a 5.5 and right now, I've got a rescued female in my hospital tank. If I end up keeping her instead of adopting her out as planned (because I get attached), I'll buy a 20 gallon and divide it 4 ways.

The ten I got during Petco's $ per gallon sale so 10$, the hood was 35$ and the divider was homemade. The 5.5 I got on sale from petsmart for 30$ as a kit. Everything but my live plants was bought on sale. I think I've spent... 300$ all told, not including my fishfaces.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #5 
Leopardfire

Would my male betta be happy in something smaller than a 10 gallon? He is a HM so he has a long tail and I don't want him to feel cramped.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #6 
ZergyMonster

Mine lives in a 2.5 gallon with plants out the ears. He seems to enjoy swimming: through, around, and behind all the plants and gets his exercise when I pull the card between him and his Veil Tail neighbor (Different tanks side by side).
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #7 
toad

I've got 6 bettas - one in a 10 gallon, one in a 5 gallon, and the other four in 3 gallons. All 6 tanks have live plants.

All my guys in the 3 gallons seem to be perfectly happy, and do not appear cramped at all.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #8 
crowntaillove

You can keep him in anything larger than 1 gallon. Just make sure you know how often to change the water, it's different for different sized tanks. I find it's easier to divide a 10 gallon tank if you have the space. I have 4 of them. I didn't buy everything all at once. I got the tank, the fish and the heater the first day (oh and some water conditioner and food.) The next week I got a plant, a few caves and a filter.
Now that I think about it, they are expensive but if you just space out what you buy with each paycheck, then you really don't notice how much you spend on the little boogers.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #9 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove View Post
You can keep him in anything larger than 1 gallon. Just make sure you know how often to change the water, it's different for different sized tanks. I find it's easier to divide a 10 gallon tank if you have the space. I have 4 of them. I didn't buy everything all at once. I got the tank, the fish and the heater the first day (oh and some water conditioner and food.) The next week I got a plant, a few caves and a filter.
Now that I think about it, they are expensive but if you just space out what you buy with each paycheck, then you really don't notice how much you spend on the little boogers.
True.

Plus, you can always buy real plants and then, as they grow, sell the cuttings to other fish people :) Makes a little bit of the money back that you spent, anyway!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would say 2.5 miniumum they are native to millions of gallons of water I prefer 5 though.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon tank, cheaply, multiple bettas