Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #11 
Pitluvs

We have 10 males, 3 in a divided 10g, 3 in a divided 10g, 2 in a divided 5g and 2 single 1.5g tetras (one is a continuing care tank, the other is for newbies).

I have 5 females in a 20g tank as well.

A lot of my tanks are second hand. Here's a break down of the cost of one of my divided tanks.

10g - $15
heater - $13
rocks - $3 (large bag)
plants - $10
caves - $30
filters - $15

So it's about $85 for me to have 3 males. The other 10g is the same deal, the 5g was cheaper and is not filtered so that one was $50.

I've spent about $4000 on my fish tanks though, so I know where to cut corners to pinch a few extra dollars and still give my fish everything they need. It was also spent over time, not all at once :)

We also give our fish about 3g of space except the newest betta and our forever sick boy, Kris :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #12 
logisticsguy

I prefer to use 10 g tanks because of the ease to get a stable cycle and they give me room for decorating with a lil bit less maintenance. Each betta gets its own little mansion. My sorority tank is 33g with 5 females. Boy do they bully each other but it is always full of action. The bullying never stops and it took me awhile to accept it and realize this is the nature of the breed..its just what they do for kicks.

The key for me keeping costs down was buying all used complete set up tanks. In one day I bought 3 tanks, 1 25g and 2 10g on the local internet classifieds for 75 bucks total. Would have cost 10x more from the LPS for the same stuff. Lots of people lose interest in the hobby for various reasons and there is always lots of cheap used available.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #13 
Leopardfire

Thanks for all the suggestions! I love bettas and I really want to keep more. However, I do have one more question. Do bettas in divided tanks try get stressed by seeing other bettas through the divider? I don't want my bettas constantly upset by the sight of another fish.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #14 
ZergyMonster

Bettas can get stressed if they see another betta through a divider but you can avoid this by setting up an opaque divider or having decorations cover their view.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #15 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopardfire View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! I love bettas and I really want to keep more. However, I do have one more question. Do bettas in divided tanks try get stressed by seeing other bettas through the divider? I don't want my bettas constantly upset by the sight of another fish.
They will flare at each other for a while, but I, as well as a few other members, have found that after a while they get used to seeing each other and realize that they can't get to each other, so they chill out. Of course there will be a few bettas that can never get used to seeing each other and they will stress out. In that case I've read that you can weave a plant through the mesh to minimize the view.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #16 
Onlyonagoodday

Try craigslist for inexpensive tanks, often people just want to get rid of them and will throw in decorations for free.
Onlyonagoodday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #17 
Leopardfire

Thanks, I guess divided tanks are the easiest way to keep a lot of bettas. It's good to know it doesn't always have to cost $100 to set up a single fish tank!
Old 10-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #18 
lexylex0526

I don't have many bettas, only 3 right now. But as for the 10 gal tanks here's how people can cheapily set one up:

10 gal from Walmart = $12
Marbles for substrate = $1 (at the dollar store)
Filter from Walmart = $14
Heater = $13

All that adds up to $30 dollars and then all you have to do is add some decorations! :)

Last edited by lexylex0526; 10-13-2012 at 02:38 PM.
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #19 
Leopardfire

Quote:
Marbles for substrate = $1 (at the dollar store)
Thanks for the price breakdown. How big are the marble bags? It seems like it would take like 20 bags for a 10 gallon if they are that cheap.

Tags
10 gallon tank, cheaply, multiple bettas