Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #21 
bettasaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopardfire View Post
The petco sand looks really good, but like I said, I think it caused serious ph problems in my tank. This isn't common, so I wouldn't worry, but let me know if it affects anything. I'm still trying to figure out if it was the sand or not, so I'd like to hear how it worked for other people. Hopefully it will work great for you!
I'll let you know! :)
bettasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #22 
clopez1

Just got a bag of pool filter sand..$3.49 since no one showed up to get the bag off the shelf after waiting about 20 minutes..Can't beat that deal..Will be cleaning it then it goes in tomorrow..I want to let the sand get to temp.
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:58 AM   #23 
ravenwinds

Bettasaur: I don't have any ideas on different color...at my Petco we have black, rust red (probably trying to copy the "red river" varieties of eco-complete, etc), and almost white...I haven't had any trouble seeing my darker fish, even the blacks, with the black sand...it usually makes a nice contrast to any iridescent wash the fish may have. My reds and red/blues look gorgeous on the black sand. Only thing I can think of is that I use either T5 fluorescent tubes or the coiled fluorescent bulbs that give 6,500watts(?..brain freeze at the moment!) These are higher output lighting designed for planted aquariums...sad to think these are the lowest ones for planted tanks (I need to upgrade). Bottom line is if you are using hood and bulb that came with your 10gallon, that is considered "low light" and if you have back of tank painted black, maybe the light is too low to really see your dark bettas...just a guess.
Also: awesome find on the red and black bicolor...what a beautiful little gem!

Just thought of idea: you could buy lighter colored sand (even the off white because it would just make a charcoal color!) And mix it with the black, stirring it in...it would brighten up the tank without making everything appear washed out :)
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #24 
Leopardfire

Quote:
you could buy lighter colored sand (even the off white because it would just make a charcoal color!) And mix it with the black, stirring it in...it would brighten up the tank without making everything appear washed out :)
That sounds really cool! I might try that in my tank.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #25 
bettasaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenwinds View Post
Bettasaur: I don't have any ideas on different color...at my Petco we have black, rust red (probably trying to copy the "red river" varieties of eco-complete, etc), and almost white...I haven't had any trouble seeing my darker fish, even the blacks, with the black sand...it usually makes a nice contrast to any iridescent wash the fish may have. My reds and red/blues look gorgeous on the black sand. Only thing I can think of is that I use either T5 fluorescent tubes or the coiled fluorescent bulbs that give 6,500watts(?..brain freeze at the moment!) These are higher output lighting designed for planted aquariums...sad to think these are the lowest ones for planted tanks (I need to upgrade). Bottom line is if you are using hood and bulb that came with your 10gallon, that is considered "low light" and if you have back of tank painted black, maybe the light is too low to really see your dark bettas...just a guess.
Also: awesome find on the red and black bicolor...what a beautiful little gem!

Just thought of idea: you could buy lighter colored sand (even the off white because it would just make a charcoal color!) And mix it with the black, stirring it in...it would brighten up the tank without making everything appear washed out :)
I ended up getting the black for both tanks. I love it!! Sounds like I need to upgraded my lights! I love the idea of the off white mixed with black!! Thanks so much! Yeah, I got REALLY lucky with that the red & black. He's ridiculously gorgeous no matter what I put him in!! The ends of his fins are almost see though! :)
Old 10-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #26 
Tikibirds

I like the Petco sand because they have it on a dark/royal blue color :)
I also have regular play sand I got from toys r us.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #27 
ravenwinds

Lucky you Tikibirds! My Petco doesn't carry DRM blue sand...wish they did; I have a male HM imported by Jennifer Viveros and he is sapphire blue with dark red fins...I bet he would "pop" in a tank with dark blue sand...maybe I can get it off their website if shipping cost doesn't double the cost!

Bettasaur: I bet they both look gorgeous with that dense black sand! I bid on a betta from Thailand who looked like your 2nd guy. I almost got him but someone started to outbid me on the last day...I backed out after he went up to 50$ because I just can't see spending that much on a fish that could die before he even spawned. He was a butterfly as well so his fins were edged in transparent black then ringed in clear for about 2-3mm.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #28 
Greylady

I have white sand from petco in my tank (there's a pic in my album, although the plant's have probably doubled in size since the pic was taken). I love the look of the sand. I don't remember what brand it was, but I got it at PETCO in the little 5 lb bags. My tank is only 6.6 gallons so I only needed two bags. The sand has large granules, very small compared to gravel but not as tiny as real sand. This helps with the live plants, because the roots can get between the granules as well as the oxygen. I also put MTS's in the tank to keep it aerated and to keep the toxic air pockets from forming. It feels soft like sand so it's safe for my betta. It's also really easy to clean because everything sits on top, I just vacume just above it and anything sitting there gets sucked up, or I use a turkey baster if there are just a few poops or something I want to get out. I was planing to use pool filter sand but there aren't any home depots or Lowes around that carry it, maybe because there are so many pool stores around but the pool stores only carry 100 lb bags. So I gave up and just went ahead and purchased the PETCO sand, now I'm very glad I did.
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #29 
ravenwinds

It is easy to clean with vacuum...if you need to, swirl the vacuum about 1/2 to 1 inch from sand and the swirling will create a mini tornado with the poop etc and it will just be sucked right up the hose.

+1 to greylady on your points...you mentioned all the things to look out for...and you remembered the MTS: Malaysian trumpet snails spend a lot of time burrowing around in your sand so they help to keep it aerated. In my opinion, they are a must have with sand substrates. They rarely (some people say never) eat aquatic plants, they are cheap but attractive (aquabid usually has a few auctions running for these guys), they stay small, and most bettas don't worry about them! But, they can easily become an uncontrolled population if you don't monitor them and take measures accordingly.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #30 
bettasaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenwinds View Post
+1 to greylady on your points...you mentioned all the things to look out for...and you remembered the MTS: Malaysian trumpet snails spend a lot of time burrowing around in your sand so they help to keep it aerated. In my opinion, they are a must have with sand substrates. They rarely (some people say never) eat aquatic plants, they are cheap but attractive (aquabid usually has a few auctions running for these guys), they stay small, and most bettas don't worry about them! But, they can easily become an uncontrolled population if you don't monitor them and take measures accordingly.
How do you keep the population under control?