Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #11 
DragonFish

Yes, Its probably not best to put them in even a divided tank together in your standard artificially planted setup.

Well....I'm afraid there isn't much to be done there except maybe stick with something smaller 2.5-3 gallon tanks(though to be honest a 5 gallon really doesn't take up all that much room if you ask me...)that don't take up too much more space then the bowls if shes really set on saving space perhaps.
Bettas are hardy fish, they can survive in the small unheated bowls for a bit, but by no means are they truly 'fine'. A dog can survive in a small kennel if they're given food and water, a person can survive locked in a small room if they're given food and water.....its not too much different with a betta in a small unheated bowl. There is a big difference between surviving and thriving. Perhaps point that out to her? Show her the site? Look up a few different sources and show her? It also might not hurt to point out that she did bring home two living, breathing creatures and, just like any other pet, they deserve proper care in order to live their lives full and healthy. At least....thats the approach I take with my parents. They generally shut up after that....xD

Best of luck.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #12 
Blacklight

We might be able to get away with one tank. The girl has hardly moved since last night (unless she really likes to just float up at the top of the side of the bowl with her fins all closed). I think she's taken a turn for the worse. She's pretty listless and tapping on the tank doesn't budge her. Or... she could be sleeping.

Just one more thing that makes me feel like I'm in a race against time.

(edit. Poked her. Nothing. Put a tiny speck of treat food in the bowl. It's a miracle! She's nomming on it like mad! Maybe she was just bored and was like "meh" when I tried to rouse her. Or she sleeps really deeply)

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-11-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #13 
starrlamia

you can get heaters for bowls,
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4455060
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #14 
DragonFish

It sounds to me like shes probably just very cold.....any idea what the temp could possibly be?

Depending on the size of the bowl, heaters like that could very easily over or under heat. A few people have had success with them, but really if you live in a place that gets cold with very frequent temp fluctuations thats not the best heater to get. I wouldn't recommend that.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #15 
Blacklight

I have no idea of the temp. The heater thermometer in the apartment reads 75 degrees but who knows how accurate it is? The problems in that this apartment has central air so the temperature fluctuates. For some reason, the heater will make the apartment a little overly hot, shut off, wait till it gets chilly, then turn on again. It's never a uniform temperature in here. And I also know that it got really cold in here last night which makes me fear for tonight because we're supposed to get a frost. We need to get these two into heated tanks.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #16 
starrlamia

you can wrap the bowls in towels to help keep some warmth in.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #17 
DragonFish

Water temp is generally a few degrees bellow room temp anyway, so even if it is really about 75 in there it'll be a little colder in the bowls....which explains the inactivity and clamping. Thats very typical of a cold betta, and especially if the temp dropped down significantly in the night its no wonder she wasn't moving. I generally don't move myself if my room gets too cold. xD

With a place like that.....your best bet with a heats is something fully submersible and adjustable with a thermostat(always best to have a thermometer to monitor temp though as the thermostats aren't always accurate depending on brand of heater and tank size and whatnot). They're the best at keeping the water nice and steady, even if the room temp fluctuates frequently.

Best of luck getting these guys into new homes, and keep us updated!
Old 10-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #18 
Blacklight

I was reading on another site that it's best to give a betta at least a 5 gallon tank for heat regulation and overall health.
If this is true, with two tanks and nowhere to put two of them, it's going to be tough and expensive. Man. I wish she hadn't bought a male and female. Then I could at least divide one tank.

She's SO going to yell at me for making her do this. Hehe.

I got my apartment temp up to a little over 75 and the girl is doing better. I however, am sweltering.

As for doing the transfer to the new tanks. What's the best way to go about doing this? My wife tossed away the cups they came in. Should I heat up the water in the new tank properly, put the betta in a zip lock bag or something and float it to let the temp acclimate? Or do I get the tank to room temp first, transfer the fish directly, and then turn on the heater? Would the heater heat too rapidly for that?

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-11-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #19 
DragonFish

Obviously bigger is always a little better, and while a lot of keepers find that 5+ gallons is a good size to shoot for, your fish can be just fine and live just as long in something that holds at least 2-2.5 gallons of water provided its heated and you preform the necessary maintenance(twice weekly water changes of 1 50% and 1 100% at least, though I find my fish are a little more active and perky with an extra 25%-50% per week in an artificially planted tank, if unfiltered)on it. So no, thats not necessarily true for all cases.

If the turning up the heat is really really bothering you, you could wrap the bowls in towels like starrlamia suggested and turn the heat down again. It will help at least a little bit for now probably.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #20 
Blacklight

Yeah. We went out and looked at 2 gallon tanks. With everything that we would need, it's completely out of our price range and my wife says that she's not blowing all that money on two fish. She's not upgrading anything. We couldn't find any heaters for the bowl size that we have and the bowls they had at the various shops were no bigger than the ones we have. We've moved the bowl to the bedroom that retains heat a LITTLE better (but still gets cold at night). Basically. If we bought all that we would need to set up these two bettas, we're talking almost $100 when you include the tanks, the heaters, the filters, etc... She says that she's not spending that kind of money on two three dollar fish. There were bowl heaters, but they were made for much bigger bowls (They were non adjustable and were for 2 gallon bowls which they didn't even carry at any of the stores for less than $20 each) and would cook the fish in the smaller bowls that we have ( I think that the male's bowl 3/4 of a gallon and the female's bowl is like a half gallon.