Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #61 
Aus

Re: male + filter -- The filter flow might still be a tad high for him and his floofy fins (two of my males cannot stand any flow at all, it's a PITA). If you check out the guides to baffling filters (it's easy!) in the stickies on betta care, you'll see it's not hard to do, and your fish will probably enjoy a lower flow. I have taken to using sponge filters of late, and they are brilliant if you use a flow valve on the airline.

Females are awesome. Mine likes a slightly higher flow (smaller fins) and is totally a darling to interact with. Glad you're enjoying yours.

Re the feeder thing - No. Get some high quality pellets and feed small amounts twice a day. If you are away fr a weekend, your bettas are better off not eating than having food mussing up their tank constantly. If you're away for longer, try to have someone with a brain come round to feed them once a day (a brain is important, people do such dumb things around fish).

Your temp's a little low still but not awful, don't panic. I use dymax adjustable heaters and swear by them, and you will find adjustable sooo much better. But if the budget's tight, and it's not freezing where you are, it can wait, IMO.

I had to giggle a bit at "my wife just wanted simple fish in a bowl".. no such thing, there really isn't, not if you care about your pets. But what you will find is that these little guys in a good, appropriate environment will repay you 100 fold, in the enjoyment they bring.

I have spent hundreds and hundreds on mine, over time, and I am a sole, disabled parent on a fixed income. I just get things as I can afford them, here and there, and look for bargains. I do without the hairdresser, nails done (who wants to put fancy nails in a fish tank anyway? lol). I'd rather enjoy my fish and do without the fripperies of life, if it comes to it.

For plants --- good idea is to join a fish forum that has a lot of members local to you and ask if anyone's selling easy-care, low-tech plants. You will find people quite generous usually, and it works out wayyy cheaper than buying from a store (and you won't get non-aquatic plants...stores can be bad that way).
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #62 
Blacklight

We tend to keep the apartment a little bit on the cool side here (also around 75 degrees). So these heaters are pretty much maintaining room temperature (or they stopped working. I can't really tell) They were warm when I first put them in but they're cold now, but they also have thermostats that turn them on and off automatically so they could be running at their optimal temps.

None of the stores carried adjustible heaters for 5 gallon tanks for some reason. They were all self regulating. All the adjustable ones were for much larger tanks.

The other thing that I was surprised that I couldn't find was something that was actually common in pet stores and aquarium shops around here 20 years ago when I was doing my fish keeping. Those floating or clip to the sides "temperature acclimation tanks" that you use for transferring fish from one tank to another to get them acclimated to the temperature. The one I had looked like a breeding tank, but it had little pontoon looking things on the side so you would put the fish in it and float it in the tank and then sink it to release the fish. NO ONE carries those any more. Those come in REAL handy for when you do a full tank cleaning and you take the fish out and you have to get them re-acclimated to the temperature again.

(edit: I just read in the manual to wait for a total of 24 hours for the heater to reach it's proper temperature. Of course, my wife didn't follow that rule, but then again, as the heaters are cold, they've probably reached the final temperature)

Also, I really think he just likes the current from that filter. He's not attacking it or anything. He just seems to like to go under where the intake slits are and he'll sit there or he'll rub up against the slits where the water sucks in. He looks like he's scratching his back. He's not panicking or freaking out there or anything. and he REALLY seems to be playing with that trickle of water rather than having trouble swimming in it. He just goes up to the spot where the trickle hits the water and he likes to poke his nose into it. There's BARELY any current from that filter. I have that thing turned down to the max.

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-14-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:21 AM   #63 
Blacklight

Both of these fish have TONS of energy now. The boy seems to have also taken up something like surfing. I have the water down an inch or so from the top. He seems to like to zip really fast to the point where his body will go up above the water. It's not really jumping, but it looks kind of like he's body surfing and he'll zoom from one end of the tank to the other like that.. I've never seen such an active and crazy fish before. I don't know if this is a bad thing or if he's just really excited about his new home and is playing.

Have any of you seen a body surfing betta before?
Old 10-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #64 
ao
TFK Moderator

sounds like a unique one!
mine loveees to surf the filter current when he has nothing better to do!

arent you glad you got those tanks!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #65 
Blacklight

I'm VERY happy. My wife is happy (thankfully...)
The fish seem very happy and super energetic now instead of their prior listless bowl existence.

Yeah. This guy is DEFINITELY a character. So is the girl. When my wife picked them out, these two were REALLY active and lively. When we first got them, the boy was definitely more of a character. What was funny was that when my wife went up to his bowl, he would just swim up to her and look at her. Whenever I came ANYWHERE in his eyesight, he was all getting excited, and was displaying at me. And I mean ANY TIME I WAS IN THE ROOM. I could have been sitting on the couch at the other side of the room and he would be pushed up against the glass glaring at me. If I moved, he'd freak out and start puffing up at me. He would even watch me if I stood at the end of the hallway leading to the room. He must have great eyesight for a fish.

I seem to be getting a "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! " vibe from the boy now.

I don't know if he hurt himself somehow though because the last time I saw him display a couple days ago, only one side of his gills popped out and the other side didn't. I haven't seen him display since. Is this a bad thing or is it just that he was feeling cold or cramped in the bowl? He's not displaying at all in the fish tank now.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:50 AM   #66 
ao
TFK Moderator

his gill could be hurt by ammonia build up... or maybe it is simply temporary...
observe it for a while and any behavourial changes.

I do advise you to begin a fish in cycle now. Assuming you are getting plants....by doing 50% water changes every week. and most LFS will test your water for you (or you an purchase a test kit)

test the water in a month and see if it has cycled(ammonia-0 nitrite-0 nitrate-some) when it does cycle, you can begin to do 25% weekly WCs.

I really do recommend getting water wisteria. it is absolutely beautiful and will grow very fast...

I gave my friend one small stem 3 months ago and it has now taken over his 10gallon tank...

he doesnt even change the water any more (not recommended but thats how well the wisteria works as an ammonia sink).
in fact he treats this tank with absolute neglect! lol.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #67 
Blacklight

Should I wait for the tank to finish cycling before I add those plants?

I don't think he was suffering ammonia build up. When he was in the bowl, my wife changed that water religiously every other day. I'm thinking he probably hurt it somehow. He's still eating and I think he may be starting to bubble under the little bridge that my wife put in there. It has a lip on the underside so I imagine it's perfect for holding his bubbles. There's a bunch of little bubbles under there now and as I mentioned, he's absolutely full of energy at the moment. I don't see any obvious warning signs that anything is wrong other than that.
I think he's seeing his reflection in the glass too. I don't think he was used to that in the bowl.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:06 AM   #68 
ao
TFK Moderator

nah, just add the plants. if the plants establish themselves well enough, you wont even need to bother with a cycle :)

Just observe him then. If he's acting fine I wouldn't worry about it. also make sure to give them a regular day night cycle (lights on/ off at same hours of the day)

I really want to see some photos! lol
Old 10-14-2012, 03:32 AM   #69 
Blacklight

Here's the boy. I had a REALLY HARD time getting him to cooporate for the camera. You can't really make it out too much in the picture, but he has a beautiful mix of red and dark purple. When he turns one way, he's bright red, and when he faces another direction, he gets a kind of pastel purple hue.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #70 
ao
TFK Moderator

veryy handsome! he has really nice long ventrals too! and that white tip on the ventrals are soooo cute XD
I can sort of see the puple/violet iridescence :)