Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #1 
labloverl

How long can BB live in filter without water?

I'm afraid that the filter in one of my cycled tanks stayed unplugged all night. The plug was loose, and it must have been bumped to where it came unplugged. I didn't think to check the filter cartridge to see how dry it was before plugging it back in, so I can only assume that it was off all night. How long can the BB in the filter live without water?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

That can vary-usually after about 6 hours the BB will start to die-not all of them-just some as long as they are still wet-Once they dry out they will die pretty fast.

If the filter media was still wet-what I would do-dump all the water out of the filter box and give the filter media a good rinse in dechlorinated water and get it hooked back up. Monitor your prams for a couple of weeks and make any extra water changes as needed. Or if you don't have a test kit-just add an extra water only mid week for a week or so.

Most likely you will have a mini-cycle for a week or so-but-since the BB are sticky and adhere to all the surface areas and in the top layer of the substrate-you will still have BB in the tank to help seed the filter media. It shouldn't take a week or so for the cycle to be fully established-provided that it was already established to start with. Also, if you have live plants in the tank-you may not have any issues at all.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #3 
labloverl

Thanks, OFL!! :)
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote