Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2012, 04:27 AM   #1 
Blacklight

Cycling a Betta tank

So. My wife came home with a couple bettas in half gallon bowls. I'm going to go get a proper aquarium tank (probably a 10 gallon) with a divider for them.
I have a question about cycling the tank. I've seen people say that it takes up to 6 weeks to cycle the tank before it's safe to put the bettas in. Is this true? Because I don't like keeping them in those bowls for that long. I fear they'll be dead before the cycle finishes. Is there any way to do this faster? I don't have access to another aquarium to grab gravel or a filter from. Do they make anything you can drop in there to get things done quicker?

I wish she hadn't just bought the fish without finding anything out about caring for them... and the pet store sales staff just let her go right through with just a pamphlet that pretty much tells you nothing and actually has some misinformation on it. It says that the bettas should be kept between 70-75 degrees for pete's sake.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:51 AM   #2 
Blacklight

I feel like I'm in a race against time to save these poor fish.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

When stuck with new Betta and nowhere to put them but the show tank, here's what you do:

Fill the tank with conditioned tapwater (see conditoner below) heated to around 80*F. Float the fish, in their cups, in the tankwater for a half hour or so until the temperatures match. During this time, ladle a small quantity of tankwater into the cups and dump a similar quantity of the cupwater. Repeat until the cupwater has been replaced by tankwater. Sink the cups and let them swim out into the tank.

For cycling, this is the easy way.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...ecific-107771/

No rush. More important are the fundamentals (you sound like you already know some of this).
---Water conditioner. Seachem Prime is excellent. Don't change water without it.
---Heater 50W for that 10g tank
---Thermometer. Glass, not stick-on
---Water test kit: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349945368&sr=8-1&keywords=API+test"]Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies[/ame]

---Siphon (aka gravel vac) for cleaning the substrate and water changes. Small size will do.
---Get a few silk plants or, better yet, some live Anubias, Wisteria, Java fern, Java moss or other beginner plants. See plant stickie in the Tanks and Habitats section.
---a small pot or cup for them to hide in

Other advice available in several stickies at the top of the Betta Care section and the Tanks and Habitats section.

Good luck.And welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Hallyx; 10-11-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #4 
Kevron56

I know exactly how u feel. My GFs daughters grandparents bought her a Betta about 4 months ago. She came home with the betta (she named him Cowboy) in a small 16oz hexagon "aquarium"...so spontaneous and irresponsible! I started reading about the needs of these beautiful fish and I grew quite attached to the little bugger, especially since he was staying with me and I was taking care of him. We acclimated him to an uncycled 5 ga tank and with the extra room his fins really bloomed and he was able to express his personality... I NEVER thought a fish of all pets (they quickly become a friend or even family really after a few weeks!) could have such a personality!
It's great u know about cycling, I wish I knew about it back then. I am currently cycling a 5ga tank using the threads on this forum as a guide, I've learned so much from these senior members and moderators! Good luck!
Kevron56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #5 
OrangeAugust

You could get one-gallon tanks for them temporarily until your 10 gal. cycles. Then you have some spare tanks to use as hospital tanks if you ever need them for that. They sell small heaters for small tanks (.5 - 1.5 gallons) in the betta section at Petsmart.

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 10-11-2012 at 09:26 AM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

You can cycle the tank with the Bettas in it, you just have to do as another poster suggested. Make sure you have a liquid water test kit to test daily and do water changes as necessary. I cycled 2 tanks simultaneously with Bettas in them, the 46g took about 6 wks, the 10g took 8 wks. I would do a 50%+ water change if my levels were ammonia or nitirites >.5, nitrates >40. It takes patience and persistance. Read everything you can about fish IN cycling a tank. It is not difficult you just have to be willing to do the work.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #7 
Freyja
Banned

+1^ I agree with Shellieca about fish-in cycling.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It would be nice if contributors would read the posts and recommendations before repeating advice already given.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
It would be nice if contributors would read the posts and recommendations before repeating advice already given.
And you would be specifically addressing who? The only repeated advice is for a Water test kit, unless I'm missing something. Your comment was unnecessary & a little rude.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote