Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #1 
LittleFish2012

Question pH Reading

Hey everyone!
So I'm going to start making an even greater effort to keep my fish happy by testing their water's pH.
My crowntail especially seems to be sensitive to what I think are the pH levels in his tank.

So here's my question... the bottles of pH UP and pH DOWN- which one do I use if the water is more acidic (6.0) to get it to neutral (7.0)? I understand the range- lower numbers (0-6) mean more acidic, and higher numbers (8-14) mean more basic.

At first I thought pH UP would be what I wanted to use to get it to pH neutral, but then I remembered hearing "the higher the pH, the more acidic". I don't want the water more acidic, I want more alkaline.

I really think I'm overthinking this... is this backwards, or am I backwards? I'd rather sound like an idiot asking than harm my fish unintentionally.

When would I use pH UP and when would I use pH DOWN?
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I cannot answer your questioin regarding the use of Ph down or up, I have always been told to leave the Ph alone as it is more important to keep it stable, through water changes, than to attempt to adjust it. Trying to adjust the Ph with additives most often leads to more problems. Again, this is what I have always been told by multiple people. What is the Ph level in the tank? Have you tested your tap water's Ph? I'm curious as to what symptoms your Betta is exhibiting that makes you believe the Ph is a problem for him. This is something I hadn't heard before so I'm asking.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yeah I agree with shellieca leave the ph alone ! I also have heard its better to leave the ph alone and your betta will adjust to it and when you start to add things you really might do more harm then good. With your CT do you mean the problem some have with their fins curling ? Hard water causes this not the ph, you can try and ad some Indian Almond Leaves to soften the water abit.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #4 
LittleFish2012

Really? I should leave the pH alone? I was told that I should always adjust it to keep it neutral.
I have no problem leaving it be. I just wasn't sure whether it's OK or not. I'm glad I asked...
Most of my tanks pH is 6.o- which I think is something like 10x more acidic than neutral... I'm not sure how that works, I was never good at chemistry.
I have not tested my tap water's pH mostly because I don't like to use it.
We have hard water and if I don't treat it, it kills my fish. I use spring water.
I do change everyone weekly, so the pH shouldn't be an issue, right?

My CT's rays would curl. He isn't curling anymore, but he used to. It was like his rays were all bent. It was so strange...
Old 10-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

What size tank/tanks, are they filtered? From what I understand a Ph that low usually causes problems for keeping a tank cycled. I have always used my tap water which is VERY hard & I only add Prime with each water change, so far no problems. I only worry about my ammonia, nitrites & nitrates level.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #6 
LittleFish2012

He's in a 1 gallon, no filter. I don't quite understand what it means to cycle a tank, so I don't think its cycled. I dont use treated tap water with him anymore.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFish2012 View Post
He's in a 1 gallon, no filter. I don't quite understand what it means to cycle a tank, so I don't think its cycled. I dont use treated tap water with him anymore.
A 1g with no filter would not, IMO, cycle. When I had containers that little I did wkly 100% water changes, now I have nothing smaller than a 10g because I realized after much research & watching my own Bettas that bigger was better but I know not everyone thinks like I do. In any case, cycling is not something your tank is likely to be, being cycled means that there is beneficial bacteria processing ammonia & nitrites. Someone else may have a difference of opinion.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #8 
LittleFish2012

Oh, I think I see...
I do agree that bigger is better, however I do not have room or finances for this. In the meantime until I do, I'll change their tanks often.
I'll definitely look into cycling and decide if it's right for my larger future tank.

Thank you! :)
Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

6.0? Thats a nice PH...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #10 
PitGurl

Crowntails need softer water. Hard water will destroy your CT's rays. You want it as close to 7.0 or slightly below. Many people in the US find it hard to keep CT's because of our water. Where I live the Ph is around 8.0, very hard. The county I live in is actually called Limestone because that is what is in the ground here. I keep wild bettas which prefer soft water so I have to lower the ph using almond leaves and I also use ph down.

What is your ph testing?
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acidic, alkaline, bettas, water