Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

Miyagi is so happy! 5 gal water change question

Miyagi was just moved to an uncycled 5 gallon heavily decorated with silk plants, 2 hidy houses and rocks...no substrate. It is heated and filtered with one live plant. How often will I need to perform water changes and what %...Hes a healthy boy and shows no sign of fin issues or what not, hes a plakat and super jumpy so I would like to keep things simple for his sake while still provide him with a safe healthy environment. Hes not the kind of fish I can catch easily or even clean around the tank easily as he nearly flops himself out of tank everytime I work in or even around the tank so any advice would be great as far as cleaning goes. He has been exploring his jungle and seems to really like it. I just had my hand in to place some sponge over the filter intake and he already seems much calmer, hoping it stays this way. I was hoping more places to hide and more space would help him to settle down, keep your fingers crossed. Oh and I dont use vaccs in his tank, I use a turkey baster if that that helps estimate the needed water changes and % :)

Its not as naturally beautiful as his previous tank with live plants and such but its still cute and if it makes him happy its worth it.

Last edited by Friendlyfishies; 10-11-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #2 
lelei

You don't have gravel, in the bottom, so you wouldn't need to do gravel vacc..water changes would be 35-50% 1x weekly, and 100% weekly as well.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #3 
Friendlyfishies

100% with a filter?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #4 
Freyja
Banned

Read OFL's sticky on water changes. With a filter you do not need to be doing 100% water changes as that will disrupt your cycle and cause mini-cycles that alter stable water parameters and consequently will stress your fish.
From the sticky: 5-9gal with a filter
Weekly 50% with vacuum
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month.

5-9gal with/without filter and with live plants
This can vary based on number, specie and growth state of the plants. Generally with live plants even without a filter you don't want to make 100% water changes.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #5 
Friendlyfishies

I saw the sticky but wasnt sure where he was jumpy and nervous I should alter it to smaller % more often or less bigger %?? I figured Lelei may have just missed the part about the filter in my post, I was like woah 100%! lol. Thank you both for your responses :) very helpful.