Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #1 
DanielaMarie

Filter vs. Swimming Room

Hey everyone.

I currently have a 10 gallon tank setup that's doing great and am getting ready to add a betta. I have an Aqueon 1 gallon Mini Bow I'm planning on quarantining him in before I add him to the 10, which houses cories. I was wondering which is more important, having the filter in the tank or giving him more room to swim around. The tank will have gravel and some anacharis (from my 10) for decor in it. Also, how long would you all recommend quarantining him before moving him to the 10 gallon?

Thank you,
DanielaMarie
DanielaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I wouldn't use the filter in the 1gal-but more for his fins and stress-Often with the long fin males the water movement can be the cause of fin damage and added stress-especially in the smaller tanks.

Since you are adding live plants to the 1gal without a filter-I would recommend a water change schedule of twice weekly 50%....1-50% water only and 1-50% to include substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method

I would Qt for at least 3 weeks-provided that the corydoras have already been established in the 10gal for at least 3 weeks. Remember, QT time-line starts over if any fish get sick, die or need to be treated.

Look forward to pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote