Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #1 
Pitluvs

Throwing this out there, new substrate at cheap price :)

Well I didn't want to post until I was 100% sure on how this would work, but I have had this substrate in my tank for over a month now and everything is going fine. What started out as looking for a natural rock like substrate for my 32g cichlid tank turned into a great deal! Natural colored rocks for my 32g tank at the pet store would cost about $80 after taxes, something I could not afford with all the pets and tanks I have and considering these cichlids were a last minute rescue I did not plan (literally, no idea about them and then having them in my living room 15mins later). So I went looking....

And I found.... pea gravel/rocks at our local Home Depot. The average bag costs about $5 and is enough to do a 32g, 29g and 5g tank. They are quite dirty and need to be cleaned before adding to a tank (no more than cleaning playsand) but they look amazing and don't alter the water chemistry much. So I wanted to post and send along to others who may be looking for a cheaper alternative for their tanks with a more natural look!

Here's a few pics. One is my new Nerite Zebra snails in the 29g, the second is the cichlid tank. Excuse the bareness and such. This tank came to me with a saltwater background, blue/pink rocks and salt water plants and coral LOL I have been picking at it to turn it back to something more natural for them.
Attached Images

Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #2 
Karebear13

I Love it! It does make it look more natural love the Cichlid tank. Looks like they enjoy it!
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #3 
registereduser

This is awesome! Thanks for being the "guinea pig". I have a 29 gallon that I was dreading buying deco for but no longer!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

The cichlids love it, next on the agenda is a bigger tank but they can be quite expensive around here ($200-300 second hand). But it was a great price for the rocks. Actually, when I went to Home Depot, I was unsure of the rock size. So the young man opened the bag a bit for me to see. Then when he took it to the cash for me, he told the girl to give me 50% off because the bag was open so I got it for $2.50 LOL

This is what it looked like before, the day I took them home...
Attached Images

Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote