Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #1 
Rocky12

Exclamation Do heaters hold a constant?

Obviously the heater holds the tank from going to cold, but what if while at a constant 80 degrees, the room starts to heat up, so the tank heats up, will the heater keep it cool or is this my job? I'm just wondering
Rocky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #2 
pittipuppylove

What I've inferred from various stuff is that aquarium heaters contain a thermostat to monitor the temperature of the water, so its not just blindly heating. Going from the example you gave, if a room started to heat up/cool down and therefore start to raise/lower the temperature of the aquarium, the thermostat in the heater would sense the change and adjust accordingly. Granted, the quality of the thermostat can vary and be inaccurate, so it's important to have a separate thermometer somewhere in the tank to be able to check the temperature and useful to have an adjustable heater.

That said, the heater will cease to heat if the water gets warm enough, but it will not cool the water.

This is just my best guess from reading my heater's instruction manual, so if I'm wrong, someone please correct me
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by pittipuppylove; 10-11-2012 at 05:16 PM.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #3 
LizzyP

If the water gets too warm it's your job to cool it off. I will take a ziplock baggie and put some ice in there to float around. I highly suggest taking your betta out for this so the temperature change won't shock him. So cool the water and float him in his cup to readjust to the temp. :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #4 
ZergyMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittipuppylove View Post
What I've inferred from various stuff is that aquarium heaters contain a thermostat to monitor the temperature of the water, so its not just blindly heating. Going from the example you gave, if a room started to heat up/cool down and therefore start to raise/lower the temperature of the aquarium, the thermostat in the heater would sense the change and adjust accordingly. Granted, the quality of the thermostat can vary and be inaccurate, so it's important to have a separate thermometer somewhere in the tank to be able to check the temperature and useful to have an adjustable heater.

That said, the heater will cease to heat if the water gets warm enough, but it will not cool the water.

This is just my best guess from reading my heater's instruction manual, so if I'm wrong, someone please correct me
Posted via Mobile Device
Correct, Heaters will heat water to a certain temperature and will stop once they reach it. It will not cool the water.

In order to cool your water you can aim a fan over the water and let it cool, or you can do the ice method or you can gradually add conditioned cooler water.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote