Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2012, 01:36 AM   #1 
treed11

Question Fish Darting + Fin Rot

I had to move my male veiltail to a different tank to treat his fin rot, but now he's darting up and down against the thermometer almost like he's scratching himself on it? Could this be a sign that he has something more than fin rot, or is it just stress from the move? His fins are not clamped, but they are fraying and black on the edges that haven't already fallen off The tank is still cycling, so I'm sure that's what originally caused these problems.

The water at about 74 degrees (I can't really make it much warmer because it is a small tank, and my heater makes it too hot...), and unfortunately I don't have a kit to test the parameters with. However, I am doing frequent water changes in order to keep his water clean and prevent high ammonia and nitrite levels. I'll most likely be heading to the pet store this weekend to pick up some aquarium salt to treat the fin rot, but is there anything else I should look for to help him get better?

I just recently got him, and I feel awful for already letting him get sick! Please help!
treed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:40 AM   #2 
bettasaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by treed11 View Post
I had to move my male veiltail to a different tank to treat his fin rot, but now he's darting up and down against the thermometer almost like he's scratching himself on it? Could this be a sign that he has something more than fin rot, or is it just stress from the move? His fins are not clamped, but they are fraying and black on the edges that haven't already fallen off The tank is still cycling, so I'm sure that's what originally caused these problems.

The water at about 74 degrees (I can't really make it much warmer because it is a small tank, and my heater makes it too hot...), and unfortunately I don't have a kit to test the parameters with. However, I am doing frequent water changes in order to keep his water clean and prevent high ammonia and nitrite levels. I'll most likely be heading to the pet store this weekend to pick up some aquarium salt to treat the fin rot, but is there anything else I should look for to help him get better?

I just recently got him, and I feel awful for already letting him get sick! Please help!

Does he have any white dots on him? It kind of sounds like ich to me.
bettasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:51 AM   #3 
treed11

I haven't seen any white spots on him!
Old 10-12-2012, 01:55 AM   #4 
bettasaur

Take some of your water up to the pet store so they can test it. Also, look around on here for advice on how to treat fin rot. Some medicines that they sell to cure it can be fatal for bettas if you accidentally give them too much.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:00 AM   #5 
treed11

Thank you!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:02 AM   #6 
bettasaur

You're welcome! You'll get some amazing advice on here. I'm sure you'll get more responses in the morning!! :)