Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #1 
RedRaz

Swollen gill?

Hello everyone! This is more of a general question really. I bought my little crown tail Rosie about a week ago and I noticed when she was at Petco one of her gills were a bit swollen. I have been keeping an eye on it ever since. The one gill is still the same but she doesn't act sick. She swims everywhere, eats like a piggy, very responsive and energetic. Has great color and fins are good. Could this be just a birth defect?

She is in a 1 gal tank right now no filter. I will upgrade to a bigger tank soon. ;)

Water temp is at 78 degrees
7.6 pH
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
0 nitrate

Using IAL in her tank and changing the water twice a week. One 50% water change and one 100% water change.

Thanks!
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It could be a birth defect or it could be scar tissue from an injury or ammonia burns or an injury or a parasite.

Since she is overall acting her normal self, eating, swimming and responding to you...I would observe and keep doing what you are doing....Sounds like she is getting perfect care.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #3 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
It could be a birth defect or it could be scar tissue from an injury or ammonia burns or an injury or a parasite.

Since she is overall acting her normal self, eating, swimming and responding to you...I would observe and keep doing what you are doing....Sounds like she is getting perfect care.....
Thank you OFL! Yeah I read it could be any of those but her behavior is normal. So I will definitely keep a close eye on my little Rosie. I appreciate your kind words. :)
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote