LadyVictorian

ADF Stopped Eating

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 85
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Well it's not a betta it's a frog but his tank mate is my betta Aquarius.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? blood worms, I was told pellet food wouldn't be good for him and that it could clog his intestines.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once every day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week, one 50% one 100%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? listed above.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner, lately stress coat because Aquarius has a rip in his tail.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.8
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? no, my frog is the same color he has always been.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's a lot more skitish now and hides himself more. He's been clinging to the silk plants in hiding in the cave where before when I went to feed him he would swim to my hand. Now he swims away.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Three days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? nope
Does your fish have any history of being ill? nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown, not yet a full grown adult.

I tried putting him in a separate tank to see if he would eat then but he became to skitish and wouldn't eat so I put him back with my betta and waited a day and even today he still won't eat. I tried feeding him but he ignored the food and then he swam away and rolled over onto his back. I had to flip him back over to right him because he couldn't do it himself. I did get him from a petshop and have only had him maybe close to 2 weeks.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #2 
RedRaz

Maybe remove him from the tank and put him in something smaller with less water. So he can swim to the top easily. They love to hide so maybe put something he could hide in if you have something. I'm sorry to hear your ADF is not eating and having issues swimming. :( I'm searching online trying to help figure out what is wrong. Hang in there. *hugs*
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

I moved him into Nix's old hospital tank, it's under a gallon. We cooked some chicken breast and cut a tiny peice off to put in there with him hoping he would eat it and watching closely but it seems he still eats nothing. I'm picking up more food types for him to see if it's picky eating but I have a fear that it's the f word...the f word that is 100% lethal to ADF's the fungus that has been killing them off due to being shipped with ACF. I hope it's not because what I have read there is no real treatment for it.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #4 
Perry the platypus

Just lower the water temp. to 78 or 79 degrees. And also feed him a variety of foods not just bloodworms. You can feed him Nutrafin MAX Color Enhancing Flakes. It includes freeze-dried bloodworms. You can also feed him brine shrimp,bloodworms,blackworms,etc. Just make sure it does not mess up his digestive track. Oh yeah don't give him peas!
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

I got him brine shrimp, beefheart, and another type of shrimp I read some ADF breeders feed their frogs. I also got some aquatic frog pellets. He's in cooler water in the hospital tank but I am lowering the temp in the main tank as well though Aquarius is loving his heat wave. I put some of the frog pellets into the hospital tank and so far nothing. I'm trying to make a small enough cave for him in the hospital tank because he seems very stressed out without shelter but I want to make sure he eats before adding him back into the main tank again. I'm very worried because on a frog forum he seems to have two simptoms for that deadly fungus but I don't know if it could account for something else as well.

Not only will he not eat (before he was a greedy glutton) but he's overly skitish and Bilbo has always been friendly. Before when I put my hands in the water to feed him he would swim over to me and claw at my fingers for food. Now when I put a finger in the water to push food his way he swims away and cowers in the corners. He's never been like this before and it has me so concerned for my little Froggins.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #6 
LadyVictorian

Still hasn't eaten a thing and he's in his own tank which is set to 78 degrees right now. I'm starting to get scared. Tomorrow will be day number 4 without food. Oddly enough he has pooped in his tank so I know it's not internal blockage. In fact he's pooped a lot but I don't think tomorrow there will be much of that.

Now my betta is starting to pace the tank looking for the frog as well. He's gone to Bilbo's cave six times and I saw a bite mark taken out of his tail. Bilbo also seems stressed in the hospital tank and I wonder if keeping him in there will help him. I can monitor his eating habits better but at the same time could this just be too stressful for him causing him to not want to eat even more? At 10 I'll try feeding him some shrimp as well, see what happens.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

He wouldn't eat the shrimp either and was trying to climb out of the water. That is three symptoms now that he has for the fungus that has been killing ADF's. I don't think he's going to make it. I tried everything I could think of to feed him but nothing has worked. He won't eat, he's constantly scared, he's trying to get out of the tank and out of the water. He looks a little pale down his back and seeing pictures of frogs with the fungus on them he sort of looks a little like it with that ghosty shmmer over his body. I can't stop bawling because I know there isn't anything I can do. I might be over reacting but with three of the symptoms now I'm freaking out. How long does it take for the frogs to die once they start showing symptoms?