Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #1 
Sivan

Revival of the Betta Vase

Yet another thing we have to thank Walmart for. AquaCulture, a Walmart brand, is known for its terrible tank designs aimed toward betta fish. These vases are being sold under this brand in the fish care section, with this picture demonstrated on the front and the these instructions directly on the back of the paper.

Not only is this irresponsible, it may spark a revival of the betta vase in stores. Being a large chain retailer, Walmart has significant influence over the market and helps impact people's perceptions through their products. This is irresponsible yet widely available through both store locations and online.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #2 
Pogthefish

absolutely disgusting
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #3 
milkytea

That's really, really disgusting. I hate these fads that encourage poor and inhumane pet "care."
milkytea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #4 
Sivan

Note the caution on the bottom: "keep away from direct sunlight or ANY heat source."

To be fair, there were other instructions that said betta fish are tropical and need tropical conditions but it did not elaborate or explain ANY of their essential needs. After reading about the arrangement, would you really want to heat the water after a caution against any heat source near it? No. A person who buys this is more than likely to be the sort of person who cares more about the plant than fish.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #5 
milkytea

I agree. Directing the consumer to keep it AWAY from a heat source would certainly not encourage that consumer to monitor the water's temperature, although doing so in such a small vase probably would be very hit or miss anyway. The entire set up is bad news.
milkytea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #6 
meiperfectneina19

I think I saw some of those at Joann's too. If not that brand at least some other DIY Betta in a vase thing.
meiperfectneina19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #7 
Sivan

I have sent complaints to Walmart only to be ignored. Perhaps if I leave them this picture on their Facebook wall I can irritate them again...
Old 10-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #8 
Hershey

All I can say is.. Why.jpeg
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #9 
Leopardfire

These things make me so mad! It's just so sad to see bettas in containers like that.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #10 
Luimeril

i'm not gonna lie. :I the idea of a betta in a vase, with a lovely plant on top IS appealing. i just wish there were ways to do it safely.... my local walmart has some vases where they have the fish stuff. i should try to go back some time soon. maybe tomorrow, when Ma takes my sister to cash her paycheck at the bank. i've been making sure they don't have bettas, anyways. they have the spot set out. the price tags and all. just.... for the past two or three months, no bettas.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote