Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #41 
deso

Personally, I find betta vases to be hideously unattractive, not to mention that they're an improper environment for a tropical, carnivorous, surface-breathing fish. It's terrible that they're making a comeback. I wish people would see that a beautifully aquascaped nano tank or a small biotope with a happy little betta patrolling around are more aesthetically pleasing next to your computer or in your office than a dying peace lily and some marbles in a glass vase containing an emaciated fish gasping for air, but I'm not counting on that to change any day soon.

Also, don't try anything funny in WalMart, like stickers or flyers. They have all of the resources and money to get you arrested on some random charge, like "disturbing the peace", "loitering", "vandalism", something involving marketing on private property...the list goes on. There's security cameras everywhere in these big box stores, so hiding behind a Rollback sign (or whatever they call the sales there) isn't going to cut it ;)
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #42 
lelei

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkham View Post
What makes me sad is that people that tend to buy products like this don't think of the fish as pet, friend and companion.. to them it's decoration that moves and eats.

I was at Petco about a year ago and saw this young mother with her two kids and they wanted a "nemo" so she got the SMALLEST kritter keeper they made and some fake stones.. and 2 bettas to go in each.. When the Petco employee was trying to explain the importance of keeping clean water (of course heated filtered, cycled wasn't mentioned) she wasn't listening.. There was nothing I could do.. poor fish.

I wish more people would do research, you can create a stunning underwater planted world with the Walstad method, from what I've read if it's done properly you won't need a filter at all. (I'd feel strange not using one). I've seen it done successfully in bowls, (big ones ~5 gallons) and that is easily heated..

It feels like an endless battle. :(
Exactly what I was gonna point out, They are advertising these fish, like Home Decorations, rather than a companion, a Pet, like a cat or dog, it is more than a design in your living room, that will be replaced after a month, cause you know most that will buy these are for weddings, or Centerpieces for some fancy dinner, then (aww, look at the fish in there, aww yea yea yea, then they forget about it,) and it sits on a table or shelf, and they are putting these in Hardware stores, Craft centers, and the like, and They are more than a decoration to just look at, and that is what bothers the heck out of me, that people will never realize that there is a living breathing creature, that depends on a good owner to take care of it..and they probably won't, the fish can barely move, they are not meant to be in that type of enviornment at all, but no one who makes the product, or advertises the product cares about that..
I rescued a fish from a vase, who was not taken care of, for months, he was stuck together like a tadpole, and he was a WEDDING CENTERPIECE that was forgotten about, rrrghh, I just wish they would stop trying to convince the buying public that this is ok. It is NOT
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #43 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I originally bought carter as a decoration he is now a pet in a great home.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #44 
Kytkattin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
They are advertising these fish, like Home Decorations, rather than a companion, a Pet, like a cat or dog
Haha. Do you see what they offer as food for cats and dogs? You might as well just let your dog or cat play in a pile of nuclear waste, they will be less likely to get cancer or other weird growths from that!

As for the whole vase thing, I don't care much for the look, but then, I don't care for rounded glass tanks. I like at least one flat surface so I can see in clearly. Of course I feel strongly that simply showing people how amazing and beautiful my tanks are is enough to convince them that while there are other ways to keep fish, my way is often the most rewarding they have ever seen in a home aquarium. It is one perk about having stunning tanks, they do the convincing for you, you just have to answer the questions they are sure to bring. I can't believe how many people ask "Are you sure those are bettas? They are too perky and active to be bettas!" Yes, they did indeed come from the same torture cups yours came from, I just did my research. Of course I am never actually snarkie when people are curious. That doesn't get anyone anywhere. Plus since I am obsessed with helping people set up tanks, I offer cutting from all my plants, and often a heater. So far I have given away two heaters. It seems every time I buy a new heater for myself (as a backup, no new fishies for me... yet) someone I know wants to set up a tank.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #45 
Ginzuishou

Maybe take some "betta care brochures" from local pet store and place next to these products in the store.

employees probably wouldn't know the brochures aren't supposed to be there.
Ginzuishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #46 
Pogthefish

OR actually make some brochures and offer the to the store for free, they can;t turn down a free offer:P
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #47 
Ginzuishou

Before owning a Betta, my knowledge of them was that they were mean fish that only liked a tiny little cup to live in.

Needless to say, Ive completely turned that idea around; however, Betta fish just get a bad rap and there isn't enough information out there. It's as though it's a conspiracy.
Ginzuishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #48 
emeraldmaster

I went to walmart last night with the exact same idea and the brochures to do so, they turned me down with the threat to sue for damages to the reputation of there company! how rude! if it hurts your reputation to educate the populace then you are most certainly feeding them garbage. their reputation went down the pooper a long time ago.
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #49 
Coppermoon

Forgive me for I haven't read the entire thread, but if you think about it...as long as the Betta is being fed a correct diet, the vase is a better habitat then those little betta bowls. Live plants...most people use plastic, so having the live plant...as long as the water is changed...I just thought about that the other day while at walmart and someone looking at a betta for one of those 32oz betta bowls.
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #50 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

But Bettas are very active swimmers it is like those glofish tanks glofish are twenty gallon tank fish not five.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote