Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2008, 02:54 AM   #1 
Jennie

many betta questions/help

I have quite a few questions, it would be appreciated if i can find out the answers to them, but if not, that's ok too.

1) I've heard of people putting mirrors on the sides of the tanks. Is this a necisary thing? Whether you are going to pair them or not?

2) What is the best way to introduce bettas you plan to pair together?

3) What things does one need for a breeding tank for bettas?

4) What do i need to help with the building of the bubble nest?

I'll probably have more questions as this post progresses.

Thanks!!![/u]
Jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #2 
Oldman47

Mirrors, There is no reason to put a mirror on a betta tank unless you want a male to do his full display thing for you. I personnaly don't do it because I like to see my males swimming around in their tanks. I keep one in each of 2 different tanks.
Bettas can be bred in a tank as small as a 10 gallon quite successfully. The water level is not kept full but is lowered several inches to reduce the work the new father will have when he is keeping the eggs and fry in the nest the first few days. As soon as the breeding is done, the female will need a tank to go to for her own safety.
Introducing a female to a male is often done by putting the female in a transparent enclosure within the male's tank, such as a clear piece of tubing several inches in diameter. When the female and male are both showing they are ready, the container the female is in is removed.
To help a male get a bubble nest going, it can be helpful to put some floating plant material in his tank. This gives him something to anchor the nest.
So much for the easy questions. Now the harder questions.
Do you have room to keep as many as 50 young male bettas separated from each other while they get big enough to sell to your local fish store? 50 males would be a small number to have after a successful breeding, you could end up with twice that many.
Do you have somebody to sell the young bettas to even if you could raise them to a sellable size? Most of the commonly available veiltail bettas don't demand much on the wholesale market so you would need to almost give them away compared to your costs of breeding and raising them.
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #3 
Jennie

How do you know if the male and female are "ready" to be together in the tank after being in the same tank but seperated?
And how do you know when the female can be taken out again? After the bubblenest has been formed?

I dont have bettas yet, I'm just trying to learn more about them to see if it's something I am interested in.

There is a pretty high demand for any betta fish around here, all the country stores, pet stores even craft supply stores have numerous bettas for sale.

thanks for the reply
Old 02-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #4 
Oldman47

A ready female betta will start out plump with eggs. In the presence of a male, she will develop a strong vertical stripng to her color. The vertical bars will indicate to the male that she is ready. The male will build a bubble nest with or without the female present if he is in good enough shape to be breeding. Both fish need to be in top physical condition before things start since the process can be very draining. When the female is interested, the response can be difficult to miss. She will actively want to reach him. The male will not only do the flaring thing that he does with even a mirror, he will swim sideways as if trying to display to the female while moving towards his bubble nest. When breeding the male will wrap himself around the female as if he were squeezing the eggs from her. After a few eggs are expelled, he will release her and swim down to gather the eggs and blow them in a bubble into the nest. While he is doing this, the female will act stunned then recover from the embrace and start to swim normally again. The embraces and egg gathering will be repeated many times until the female basically runs out of eggs. After a few unproductive embraces, the male will turn on the female and drive her away. At this point its best to remove her so the male can focus on caring for the eggs and the female can start recovering.
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:36 AM   #5 
Jennie

so, what about filters, I've heard that filters with frighten the male and he will eat the eggs.

and light does that affect him or her too?
Old 02-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #6 
okiemavis

Filters are good! They keep the tank clean, and fish breed much more readily in perfect water conditions. What you've probably heard about filters is that bettas have very sensitive fins, so they can become injured in water with a strong flow. Just make sure your filter isn't creating too much water movement in the tank.

Light too, is good, although not completely necessary. It's good for them to have a day/night cycle, just like us, but you don't need 12 hours of full spectrum light if you don't have live plants. If you keep the tank near a window the sunlight should be plenty.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote