Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #1 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Question Just wondering...

Ok, so I recently read that Plakat bettas were originally bred in Thailand for their aggressiveness. Somehow, these breeders got the Plakats to be more aggressive? I'm wondering how that works although I guess it does seem plausible.

So my main question is, if bettas can be bred for aggresiveness, can bettas have the aggresiveness bred out of them? I know wild bettas live together but I'm referring to domesticish ones lol. Again, I'm just wondering and not planning on breeding. From what I know about breeding, it would probably take years to breed aggresivness out of bettas...
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #2 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoTheLakerBetta View Post
Ok, so I recently read that Plakat bettas were originally bred in Thailand for their aggressiveness. Somehow, these breeders got the Plakats to be more aggressive? I'm wondering how that works although I guess it does seem plausible.

So my main question is, if bettas can be bred for aggresiveness, can bettas have the aggresiveness bred out of them? I know wild bettas live together but I'm referring to domesticish ones lol. Again, I'm just wondering and not planning on breeding. From what I know about breeding, it would probably take years to breed aggresivness out of bettas...
We have actually done this with mice. Normally male mice will rip each other apart if kept together but many breeders in the UK have bred the aggression out of their males to a point some males from certain bloodlines can live together their whole lives safely without so much as a scuff breaking out. I'm sure if someone tried and put many years into it then aggression can be bred out.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote