Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #1 
asukabetta

Lightbulb Zebra snail and betta that eats his cucumber!!! How to stop it!

I went to the pet store just to look at the snails they had (had no intention of buying as i know that maybe 2 gallon tank with betta and snail would be too much)

However the pet store owners know me and I pass by almost every day. Out of kindness they gave me a zebra snail as a present (it has no name yet thinking gary or pie because the betta is called blueberry... blueberry... pie XD hehe)

I tried to refuse it but, they insisted to pick one and take it home so my betta will have a pal, and I did research on how to take care of it.

So far it's roaming around the glass eating algae or something I cannot see... I dropped a piece of bleached cucumber, and placed the snail on top of it, but instead it went to the glass of the tank and is sucking whatever as if it was coated on candy

While my betta is nomming on the cucumber!!! I had to pull it out asap, because i'm not sure if cucumber is good for the betta!

"No blueberry you carnivorous dammit!!" <- me lol

So how do I feed the snail now? Move it to a seperate place to feed it? Cultivate algae on a rock? Keep the cucumber there?

And does my tank have algae that cannot be seen? My snail is eating something for sure lol
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:29 AM   #2 
asukabetta

well, I just spoke with the shop keeper, he said that usually he just lets the snail eat any food that falls on the bottom. I tried the cucumber but my betta attacks it and the next day I had bacterial bloom (thank god it was tank cleaning day right after)

I changed the water 100% added a couple of flakes on the bottom and put the snail on top, while i fed pellets to the betta.

I know zebra snails eat algae, but since I do partial water changes 2 twice a week and a full water change once a week, it doesnt give it a chance to grow. So I'm hoping flakes are alright. I really can't tell since i put the flake on the bottom.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:58 AM   #3 
MsGita

You can buy algae wafers for the snail if your tank doesn't have enough algae to support the snail.

At least your betta is eating the cucumber and not the snail....that's what mine did!
MsGita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #4 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGita View Post
You can buy algae wafers for the snail if your tank doesn't have enough algae to support the snail.

At least your betta is eating the cucumber and not the snail....that's what mine did!
they didn't have any Q_Q i'm kinda looking around to see if I can ship some over, however im wondering if the wafers would dirty the water a lot

Na, I don't think he sees the snail as food, more like "WTF the rock is moving!!!"XD

Last edited by asukabetta; 10-04-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #5 
MsGita

Can I ask where you are located?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #6 
asukabetta

Quote:
Can I ask where you are located?
spain, aquarium keeping is kinda of a rare hobby here, the local pet stores don't usually have fish, but sell kitties and such, however there is another pet store /(very far from my house) that has a wide variety of exotic fish, and tanks etc. (where i buy most of my supplies)

But don't worry I found the wafers :D!! I treaded all over my city to find them >_> I wish i had the same kind of will when it came to studying exams... i'd be acing them like crazy.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #7 
MsGita

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukabetta View Post
spain, aquarium keeping is kinda of a rare hobby here, the local pet stores don't usually have fish, but sell kitties and such, however there is another pet store /(very far from my house) that has a wide variety of exotic fish, and tanks etc. (where i buy most of my supplies)

But don't worry I found the wafers :D!! I treaded all over my city to find them >_> I wish i had the same kind of will when it came to studying exams... i'd be acing them like crazy.
Ok, good. I asked because I have a brand new jar of them that I never used. Good luck with the snail and the exams :D
Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #8 
asukabetta

Quote:
Ok, good. I asked because I have a brand new jar of them that I never used. Good luck with the snail and the exams :D
aw thanks XD I do have an issue. My betta chases the snail off and "guards" the wafer so my snail can't eat it.

He just sits on the food or plays with it by eating it and spitting it out.

So i'm thinking... should I just feed my snail in a diff place before putting back in?
Old 10-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #9 
Lizzie the Badger

Lol, your betta is silly. xD

I think that would be alright to place him in a different tank to feed him, then put him back in the main.
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #10 
megaredize

i had that same problem with a snail i had an apple snail and i bought mini waffers, thank god they were mini because i put one in the tank and next thing i see is my betta bloated and no waffer to be found! lol damn betta, i didnt think they would like algae waffers. so i ended up taking the snail out completely because i had a feeling mu fish didnt like him anyways
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote