Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #1 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Do those plant bulbs actually work and grow?

Hey everybody!

Getting my new tank AND betta tomorrow!

So excited!

i wanted to try my hand at live plants, but am worried i will bring home some hitchhikers.

The tank i am going to get has LED lights, not sure what wattage.
The tank will be bare-bottom, so i might not even be able to buy live plants.

Do those plant bulbs work? What matinence would i have to do?

Also, what heater would work in a 3 gallon tank?

Thanks everybody, i am super excited and will post pictures!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #2 
laynisample

In a bare bottom tank I would really go with some floaters, hornwart, wisteria, those types of things, and some moss on a piece of driftwood. All the instructions I've ever seen for the bulbs is that they need to be buried.

http://www.petco.com/product/114078/...m-Heaters.aspx This is the heater I use in my three gallon tank. It keeps the water at 78* perfectly and has been installed for a few months. In my qt tank (a medium kritter keeper) I use a Zoomed heater. It keeps my water at about 82*. Both are really good in my opinions for smaller tanks. :)
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

bulbs will usually only sprout under certain conditions :P so usually a hit or a miss thing.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #4 
ZergyMonster

Bulbs are extremely hit and miss. I have purchased 2 sets of bulbs and in 1 set only the water lily bulb grew, and in the other set only the onion bulbs grew. On the back of each package there is usually an address where you can send the un-grown bulbs for a new bulb. I haven't done this but I'm sure it would work just fine if you got a "new" bulb from the distributor.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #5 
Onlyonagoodday

For a bare bottom pick up some marimino moss balls.
Onlyonagoodday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I have had a 50/50 success/failure with the dry bulbs you get at walmart.

The lily bulbs did better than the apon bulbs. I have a couple of lily bulbs that are awesome-grow like mad that I have propagated from-I love the look of the leaves floating at the surface. Then a couple of lily bulbs that sprout and thats it....lol....no leaves, just a few sprouts out the top.

I don't bury mine-I drop them in the tank and allow them to send their roots into the substrate-they don't seem to have that many roots anyway.

I have placed bulbs in water and sat them in a sunny window and got them to sprout faster-this seems to work best with the apon bulbs-but they don't like being moved and when I move them to the tank-it causes them to melt....

I can't find the pic of the lily bulb under water-but here is one from the top
Under water the leaves are red and once at the surface the top side is green speckled with red.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #7 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Wow thats great OFL!

I think i will wait a while to put some bulbs in the new tank, but i will definetely pick some up tomorrow and bury them in my 10 gal's gravel with Honeycomb. I already have 3 moss balls in there, and they grow like crazy. I never use the light in my ten becasue it is crud, but they get alot of natural sunlight from the window(i know, it was a bad choice to put the aquarium there. UPDATE: Getting new betta and tank FOR SURE tommorrow :)
Old 10-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

you shouldnt bury them, because you might accidentaly bury them in the wrong direction! haha
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish

oh yah hah! I will place them on top then! i cant get any "hitchhikers" this way right? I hope Honeycomb enjoys them! He already has 3 moss balls lol
Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have 1 moss ball and wa t to get one for Joe.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote