Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #31 
Aqua Betta

Do you know if there is anything I can do for the parasite? Maybe that's why he stopped eating?
Aqua Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #32 
Laki

There are meds (I know, all this money you spent on Bebe since coming to the site!!) but Sakura is the best one for that..
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #33 
Aqua Betta

Thank you. I don't even know if I can find the meds, even if I knew what to get. He really doesn't look good. Maybe it's too late.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #34 
Laki

It may not be too late:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

To better help this situation right now please copy the above questions and PASTE them in a NEW topic in this section : http://www.bettafish.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99
Old 10-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #35 
Sakura8

Hi AquaBetta and welcome to the forum. First, sounds like you've gotten some great advice on upsizing Bebe. :) Now let's see what we can do to get him feeling better.

When you say scooting around, is he literally rubbing on things like he might be trying to scratch an itch or is he just kind of staying really low to the bottom and skulking along? This is a gross but necessary question: have you seen him poop and if so, can you describe it? Internal parasites usually manifest themselves as whiteish stringy poo so that thing you found could be a parasite but it could also be a missed bloodworm. After a while, bloodworms lose color and look nasty. o.O A betta with internal parasites may also bloat up and develop a gray belly.

Offhand though, his behavior may be due to both a change in his environment and possible lingering effects from water quality issues. He may have a touch of ammonia poisoning that is slowing him down.

Conservatively, I would recommend putting him into 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon until we can figure out for sure what kind of problem he's dealing with. You can get epsom salts at any Walmart or CVS or Rite Aid. Just be sure to get plain epsom salts with no added colors or scents. It should just be magnesium sulfate and you can usually find it in the er, laxatives section. In humans, epsom salts are used as a laxative and as a muscle soak. In bettas, it will act as a mild laxative/stimulant and also help leech any excess fluids from his system.

I found Omega One and New Life Spectrum pellets at Petco. Not sure exactly where in the Bay Area you are but I'll throw this out just in case: I know there is a very good aquarium store called Neptune's Aquatics somewhere in San Jose.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #36 
Aqua Betta

3 Gallon
Yes
Just the filter
Yes
None

I was feeding freeze dried bloodworms until I found out they were not a staple food. He last ate 9 days ago, on Friday, October 5. Since then, I've tried frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, pellets, and now Bio Gold pellets (but he's not coming to the top of the tank, even if he does smell them).
I used to feed him daily, about six days a week.

New tank yesterday - 100% water change. Purified water with Tetra BettaSafe water conditioner - 7 drops/gallon. I also added 2 drops of Stress Coat. When he was in the small tank, I changed his water 2-3 X/week.

I have not tested the new tank water. I was bringing samples to Petco for them to test prior to the new tank. On Friday it was: 7.1/neutral for pH, zero for most of the others, and .5 for ammonia (which he said was in the safe zone).

No change in appearance - he's still beautiful.
Not swimming at all and laying on bottom of tank.
Monday, October 8 - his fins were clumped and he wouldn't recognize me or eat.
Bigger tank, water changes, trying to entice him to eat.
No history of illness that I know of.
I have had him since May 16, not sure how old he was before that.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #37 
Aqua Betta

Thank you Sakura 8. Right now he's pretty much staying in one position on the bottom of the tank. When he moves, he skulks along. I don't think he's trying to rub against the bottom of the tank, he doesn't seem to have the energy to swim.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #38 
Aqua Betta

Regarding the poop, I can't be sure if it was a leftover bloodworm or poop. It was white and stringy though.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #39 
Laki

Remove it and don't offer food until you find something else which could be poop/parasite.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #40 
Sakura8

Sounds like we're dealing with an internal problem, possibly bacterial. That's usually what kills their appetite. :( You could try soaking some frozen bloodworms in garlic juice. Get a clove of garlic and crush it up, then add a bit of tank water and mix it up so it's kind of a garlicky goo. Soak a bloodworm in that for a few minutes and see if he'll accept that. Garlic is an appetite stimulant and may also have antiparasitic properties as well.

He's not bloated or anything, is he?

EDIT: Yes, when you offer food, if he refuses it, remove it after 10 minutes like Laki says.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote