Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #51 
Aqua Betta

Thank you MaisyDawgThirteen. Do I have to worry about the garlic fowling the water? Also, will the heater work with that amount of water?
Aqua Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #52 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I'm not sure on the garlic. Is the heater fully submersable? If not, you could jusy lower the heater's suction cups until it is in the right position for that height of water.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #53 
Aqua Betta

Thanks. Yes, the heater is submersable. Also, I will have to lower the filter so it will work properly.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #54 
Laki

If you think he can get air from the 3g with the level lowered then good, but you could keep him in the cup he came in floating in the tank (to keep warm). I really like the cups bettas come in! SO practical (and great for snails)
How is he today? The garlic won't harm him if it's in the water.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #55 
Aqua Betta

Hi Laki,

Thanks for your post. I couldn't lower the water too much because the filter needs most of the water in the tank to work. Maybe a quart/half gallon removed. My coworker helped me yesterday, and he said he saw him eat one pellet while I had him raised up in the net (I missed it though).

Today he's still at the bottom of the tank, but is pretty active (he's scooting along and if I put the net in he does swim higher to try and get away). I tried feeding him again today, but he didn't eat (although he did notice the food). The water is cloudy, I think from the garlic yesterday (you can still smell it). A coworker who's a "fish guy" is going to help me a little this morning, he says he has some anti-bacteria stuff and will test the water. I will still try to coax him into eating.

He's an amazing little guy! If he's not giving up, neither am I! Thanks for asking about him.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #56 
Aqua Betta

Laki,

The floating cup is working well - he's able to get up to the surface easily. I also put some food in the cup, but he does not seem interested. He swims right up to it to get air, sometimes hitting the food at the surface, but does not take it. The tank water is still cloudy - I wish I new the cup trick yesterday, I would have used it for the garlic/food. He's still fighting though. Would it be OK to leave him in the cup overnight?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #57 
Aqua Betta

He just ate one pellet! This time I saw it and I know for sure because there were 5 pellets floating in his cup and only four remain. Yeah! One yesterday and one today - much better than nothing!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #58 
Laki

I'm glad he seems to be getting his apetite back!! :)
The garlic is probably fouling the water. If he's in the cup now you can do a water change on the tank and not worry about moving him around. Or the filter will just clear it up on its own (do you have carbon in the filter? that will clean the garlic out better but will not help in establishing a cycle)
Keep changing his water to include the epsom salt, it seems to be helping him a bit. Since he's eating, keep him in the cup and watch for his poop. Don't leave the 4 pellets in longer than 10 minutes (bc it contributes to ammonia) and yes it's fine to leave him in the cup overnight, provided it is in the heated tank.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #59 
Aqua Betta

Thanks Laki, me too! Yeah, it still really smells like garlic, so I know that's the culprit. Hey, at least it will keep the vampires away! lol

Yes, it's a carbon filter. What does it mean to establish a cycle? I've seen that in other posts, but don't know what it means. I removed the pellets after 10 minutes or so. The filter keeps moving him toward it, so I do have to watch to make sure it doesn't fill up his cup (it's the kind that overflows from the top). I will have to figure a way to keep him away from it if I leave him in the cup overnight. No poop today.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #60 
Laki

Do you have the cover that came with the betta cup? If so, put it on. If not, get an elastic band and fasten some sponge (clean, ordinary sponge) to the outtake where the water comes out of the filter. That will baffle the flow and not bother him or the cup.
A cycle is generally established in a tank 5 g or larger. It's when beneficial bacteria are allowed to grow and colonize and they, after a while, will turn bad things like ammonia into nitrates (or nitrites, I cannot remember). You don't really have to worry about that for now. Look more into cycling when Bebe gets better :)